iPhone 4s back cracked during car accident

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jgibson645, Apr 26, 2012.

1. jgibson645 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I had a car accident last week, in which my iPhone 4s was thrown around the car, it works fine, but the back of the glass is completely cracked. I've only had it for a couple of weeks.

I've been advised to go to the apple store, but I'm broke after paying for my car. Will they charge me?

Thanks

2. techguy20 macrumors 6502

If you get a nice person helping you, then maybe not -- though they are definitely not obligated or required to replace it, so keep that in mind.

3. jgibson645 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Try Apple first. If they'll fix it for free, that's easiest! But if they say they're going to charge you say 'no thanks' or 'I'll think about it' and just leave.

The back glass is one of the few repairs you CAN do yourself. Look online for people selling backs and instructions on how to do it.

My only concern is that something else is messed up inside, but if you think it's JUST the back and the phone works fine, then this is a repair which takes very little technical skill.

But yeah, try Apple first.

5. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Pretty sure Apple will replace back for 30 dollars

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

The back glass can be replaced easily. If you take it to the apple store, they will charge you 30 bucks for a back glass replacement, all they will do is just replace the back and give you the phone back after it has been fixed. You should be thankful that it wasn't the front because then it will cost you $199 for a replacement, unless you had applecare+ then $49.00

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Put your arm in a sling, bandage around your head, and put some black stuff under your eyes. That should work for you... :cool:

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I've had many people go to the Apple store with a shattered screen and get a replacement for free (first time). It's worth a shot, especially if you tell them what happened to you.

9. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

If the accident wasn't your fault the other guys insurance company will probably replace it. Or did you not utilize the insurance?

10. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

The OP should in fact be charged. I don't know if the accident was his fault but it did in fact happen, making him responsible for any damages to his phone.

If I order a milkshake and someone bumps me making me spill it, how does that entitle me to a free milkshake?

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If auto insurance isn't available from you (or if anyone else was involved in the accident), do you have homeowners or renters insurance? I assume the deductible or potential raise in rates would be far above the cost of a cash phone repair.

But as the others said. Try Apple first.

12. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

If you werent at fault file a claim for the out of pocket costs related to replacing/repairing the phone.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Good advice, with an ironic username, LOL!

That said, over $30 I wouldn't personally bother filing a claim, personally.

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

For $30, heck even for the full $200, DO NOT file a claim. Your insurance could go up way more than that over the long run if you file more claims.

15. repairsuniverse macrumors newbie

This is such a cheap and easy repair you do not want to use insurance etc for this.

We have made a repair video showing the process here so you can see how simple this fix is. Hope it helps

iPhone 4S Back cover repair

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

he said he had to pay for his car, so i am assuming he was at fault and probably only has liability coverage...

17. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Take it apple. If they can't do it for free, buy a part from china for a couple bucks. You can even get custom colors! Unscrew it and replace it. Repairsuniverse's videos help a lot.

18. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

Get a red back cover from China! Then just add heavy fingerprints all over, then install! Viola! Add any other texture you wish.

19. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Lots of good advice.

But, we do not know if the accident was such that there was a claim even filed. Or if there was another party involved. Or if either one had insurance. Or how much the deductible was.

Meanwhile, can somebody give me the prices for the new iphone 5 and what time I can pick one up?

(that was a joke....)

20. its93rc macrumors 6502

its93rc

Because it's good press towards apple, and Apple is known for helping its customers out. If I were the Milkshake diner owner, I'd gladly offer you a free milkshake to keep you as a customer.

The back glass probably costs Apple about $3....shipped to the store :)

21. BugBytes macrumors regular

If Apple won't do it for free, go on eBay and buy a back glass replacement and install it with iFixit's guide. The back glass on the 4 and 4S is pretty simple, unlike the front.