iPhone 4S battery, anyone else having this problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bsainsbury, Nov 10, 2011.

1. bsainsbury macrumors newbie

This isn't about the 4S's battery life, we all know that's an issue. I got the 4S the day it came out so I've had it about a month and starting earlier this week I noticed something weird with the battery. I will charge it at night before I go to bed and let it charge all night while I'm alseep. In the morning it says 100% charged but I when I unplug it, it drops down to 98% right away. It just started a couple days ago. I didn't think too much of it but this morning instead of 98% it said 97%.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyway to fix it?

2. SL4VE macrumors 6502

your basically overcharging it, so once its fully charged it will drop down to 89% or so and than recharge. whereas the old iPhones would trickle charge at 100% to keep it topped up.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Is this documented?

4. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Happens to my MacBook all the time and my Evo 4g.

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

From what I've been able to find on Apple's website, the iPhone 4S uses the same battery type (litium-ion) as the older models:

iPhone 4S specs
    iPhone 4 specs
    iPhone 3GS specs

As such, they should follow the same charging style. Below is Apple's documented info regarding the charging style of lithium-ion batteries:

I know it notes an iPod in the above but it should be the same for the iPhone.

Below are links to Apple's battery documents, if you're interested:

Litium-ion Batteries
    About iPhone Batteries

6. SL4VE macrumors 6502

i "think" its due to the processor heat/speed etc not down to the battery for doing this. dont use it against me its just a theory.. HTC have issues like this on their 1ghz processor phones. im just adding my thoughts more than anything, but it makes sense

7. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I've been having VERY good battery life lately, and when I unplugged mine today at 100% to go to work, I noticed it dropped to 96% really quickly so I was sort of wondering why. I turned off the phone then turned it back on and it was at 99%.