iPhone 4S Battery Genius Bar Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luked14, Nov 13, 2011.

1. luked14 macrumors 6502

The battery on my 4S had been alright but not great on 5.0 but updating to 5.0.1 made it significantly worse. A difference of 20-30% more drain per day was what I was averaging after the update.

I went to my local Apple Store to have a Genius check it out. She said that restoring it and setting it up as a new phone would fix the problem. According to her, I shouldn't restore from a backup because any corrupted files could be carried over to the backup. This is something I not heard before. Can anyone confirm that setting it up as a new phone would make a difference with the battery?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It may. But I know my 4S is running off of a backup that has been passed down on my iOS devices since September 2007 and iOS 1.1.1. I do not have bad battery life on my 4S.

3. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

This is EXACTLY what happened when I took my iPhone 4 yesterday to the Apple store. Looks like this is the 'fix' that the geniuses have been told to tell the customers.

4. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I have also been restoring on every phone (I have bought every model) since day 1. I do not find this acceptable. Why can't they just have a patch that corrects the corrupt files. What file could be corrupt that is causing this problem. I cannot loose all my app settings, texts, etc my setting up as new.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

My brother and I both had appointments setup yesterday to go to genius bar at separate times. He went in and they wouldn't replace his so I ended up not wanting to waste my time just for them to tell me no. I don't think setting it up as new on the iPhone 4S is gonna resolve anything. There is something really wrong with either the software or hardware with certain devices. Now we have to wait for Apple to resolve this battery issue.

6. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I had no issues on my 4S on 5.0. After upgrading to 5.0.1 I also see a 20-30% loss of battery per day. Today I erased my phone and set it up as new (since I originally restored my 4S from an iPhone 4 backup). The issue persists, losing 2% on standby every hour (on Wifi) with Push turned off and all apps killed in the background. I am hoping for 5.0.2 to come very soon.

7. luked14 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. I really get the feeling that there's some sort of hardware issue. Software might be part of the problem, but if Apple's supposed "fix" didn't do anything, there's much more to it than software.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I believe you're correct. Especially since the first time I took my original in they happily replaced it. Then two weeks later the replacement bricked and it's battery couldn't be revived. Instead of changing the battery, I got a second new phone.

Yesterday my brother took his in and their story changed completely. It seems like with AntennaGate, they've gone into denial. No one does denial like Apple.

We are now on hold.

At least they've been honest and admitted the "fix" they issued was less than effective.