iPhone 4S battery leak found?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wesk702, Nov 25, 2011.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

So my phone seemed better and then all of a sudden I went from 100% to dead in 8 hours. I narrowed the cause down on my phone to the sync option in iTunes (in the computer, not iTunes in the phone.)

When I have the sync to this computer via wifi checked and synced. My iPhone dies crazy fast after that. When I uncheck sync via wifi to this computer and sync via cable only, my battery life afterwards is good up to 18 hours of my regular usage. Haven't tested the sync to iCloud yet cause I don't use that option.

Can anybody else with the drain see if this is what is happening to them? Maybe it will help.

Note: my phone gets really warm when the drain is going on.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Well Out Of Desperation

I will give it a try.....It's the only thing I haven't tried yet. Mines on charge now, so will disable it later and post back as to length of battery life. Thanks for the information.

3. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

Another note: my tests were with me out of my house off of my network when I started my count.
    But be sure to sync after changing settings. This worked for me.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Hint:
    Apples best engineers can't solve this and they are some of the best in the business.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Will Do

I'll give it a shot.....8-9 hours sucks!

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

That's true.

For the second year in a row, Apple ships a phone with a major defect. It's quite discouraging. The situation reveals Apples continuing downward slide in quality. A defect this bad should have been caught in testing & resolved.

Since it wasn't and Apple shipped it anyway causes me to lose trust in Apple.

Once again we're reminded that Apple cares more about money, than high quality reliable devices. They know they can sell it without consequence. Very, very sad.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Is this battery issue going to be just like the Antenna issue or the iPad 2's Light Leak issue?

The thing that no one noticed until it was on the front page of some site, then it became the only thing you can focus on and then you'd flock to message boards to complain of how this is an outrage (because its the cool thing to do, yet iPhone sales continue to increase year over year). Then a few weeks past, the crowed moves along and no one can remember what that thing was that everyone was complaining about.

I'm not denying that any of these issues are untrue, but just like that saying goes "Vote with your wallet", people are and so Apple is in no rush to make any changes to how they produce their products.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The tired old excuse "the iPhone sells" proves nothing.

Toxic cancer causing fast food continues to sell at a record pace, therefore it's not bad for you?

Smoking kills but young people still smoke cause it's cool ?

Each of these examples proves just how perfect the iPhone 4S really is...

Yeah Right

9. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

I adore apple products but did decide to vote with my wallet on this release. I gave the 4s a nice chance but im done with it. Will try again in 2012.

10. OSMac macrumors 65816

It's not all phones, my 4S lasts longer than any phone I have ever had.

I use it all the time and only charge it every 2nd day,
    that's twice as long as the 3GS lasted for me anyhow.

I dont use iCloud or wireless sync, no interest in that stuff.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep I Did Say

I'd try more out of desperation than anticipation! I really hope they do get this fixed. Carrying 2 phones around is nuts.

12. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

After my cycle on the battery I am now on 6hrs 1min in usage and 1day 18hrs since my last charge. Before I cycled the battery I was lucky to get 10 hrs standby with less than 2 hrs usage.

13. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, it seems to be a software problem and only very few people are affected (like < 1%). It doesn't seem likely to me that Apple could have found this issue by even the best testing available, because things like these only show up when millions of devices are sold.

However, I can't disagree on the fact that Apple is slipping... hopefully this was the final major flaw and hopefully they will end the cycle with the iPad 3.

14. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

Funny that because the polls I have seen show much more than 1% it's more like 99% and the 1% are people who don't care as they would be happy with anything apple put out be it crap or good. Apple already said that anyone who has 5.0 or 5.0.1 will be affected by this battery drain issue no matter what device you are on and they say the fix is coming with 5.0.2 if there was not a problem then why would they say a fix is coming for it!

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Self selecting polls are meaningless. Only those people impacted will bother to take them.

We have installed tens of thousands if iPhone 4S' now and can count those units with battery problems on one hand. The problem is very limited in scope.

16. phaggard macrumors regular

Also for the second year in a row Apple has continued to deliver the best, most solid smart phone on the market. Anything that runs on software will always have bugs. You can't find everything. The battery issue will be fixed, most likely in the upcoming IOS 5.02 that Apple is working now.

17. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

People ain't saying it's a battery problem. It's a software problem. Apple have already said it will affect everyone on either 5.0 or 5.0.1!

18. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

If it will affect "everyone" then why do I not have any battery problems. I can easily get a full 24 hours of use no problem without having to charge which is the same if not better then my 4.

My wife and probably about 10 family and friends do not have battery issues either.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Little does the OP realize, some users haven't synced their phone to their computer but can still enjoy battery drain.

My 4s has been demoted to back up my reliable power sipping iPhone 4.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It does not affect everyone and Apple has never made any such statement. It affects a very small minority of users.

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Any commonalities in your "limited scope".

My limited scope is 3 for 3 in having battery issues.

22. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Are these the same engineers who designed the phone that has this problem?

23. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

Well that's funny because I have many friends in the Uk who even have the problem. Not one of them is getting anywhere near 200 hours standby and less than a couple hors talk time. Perhaps the apple user are so used to getting underperforming products that don't really work that a phone lasting 24hrs is ok! It's got so stupid that no matter what issues the apple products have people always say it's a none issue? Do you own apple or have shares because it's the only reason I could see people being happy with poor performance. Yeah a fix is coming but we heard that for 5.0.1!

24. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Bingo.

25. Infernoredram macrumors newbie

I'm not complaining at all! I love my 4s...not only is the OS stupid amazing, but the battery (even with this problem) lasts 2-3x longer than my previous HTC Evo 3D...piece of crap phone. Im still so glad iPhone came to sprint