iPhone 4S Battery Test With iOS 5.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Beaverman3001, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

Ok so, I spent a portion of today seeing how fast I could drain my iPhone 4S, running the latest beta iOS 5.0.1 which was seeded yesterday. For the test I had the screen at 100% brightness, wifi on (3G was never used for data), 4 email accounts setup to fetch every 15 minutes, iCloud enabled, and all system service locations turned on. Siri was enabled, but never used during this test. I also made no phone calls, only sent a handful of texts (5 at most) and sent zero emails, only received them (received roughly 4 or so). Volume most of the time was at max, but if you have played Nyan Cat: Lost in Space you'll understand why I turned it down for that lol.

[​IMG]

The phone lasted 4:03, which is broken down by usage roughly, these are not exact numbers, just best guess estimates as to how I spent the time:

2:30 spent gaming (some Nyan Cat: Lost in Space, but mostly Asphalt 6, probably 1:45 was spent on Asphalt 6)
    1:00 spent watching videos (40 minute show of Diggnation through the Greenbox app, 20 minutes of random youtube videos)
    0:15 spend browsing through safari (MacRumors, Engadget, The Verge, CNN, ESPN)
    0:15 spent randomly (texts, email, browsing app store)

I never left the phone idle, or locked the screen. I was using it the entire duration from 100% to 0%. Overall, while a demanding test, not too impressive. But, I do feel that Asphalt 6 skewed the results a bit, as it seemed to be a major battery drain after its recent update for the iPhone 4S.

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Im on iOS5, Got 8 hours of usage the other day.

3. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Like I said yesterday... which resulted in a ton of "down votes", is, this patch isn't going to do anything for battery life.

People are fools if they think it's the software, outside of a few honestly defective handsets, all the rest of us are experiencing exactly what we should be.

The phone just uses more power than the iPhone 4 did.

It's the worlds biggest "duh". So you put a dual core CPU in a device and think it's going to provide the same battery life as a single core?

Either people are stupid, or I'm just really that much more intelligent.

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

You do know this IPSW is a beta, right?

5. Beaverman3001 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll just say from what I experience today, I won't be throwing out my uNu battery case anytime soon, unfortunately.

6. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Please... Apple is releasing this bubble gum patch to keep the major news networks happy. They realize what were seeing is how the phone is supposed to function. But too many are yapping, the news is picking up on it.

So, apple says, "lets give them something." takes two weeks to release, by then the news has moved on and when the users get the patch and see no difference apple can just blame their individual usage as the problem, not the phone.

7. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Yes this is exactly right.

8. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I've tried the 5.0.1 beta on my 4S and I haven't noticed any improvement in battery life. The 'Usage' counter seems to be more accurate now, though (previously it was going up when the phone was locked), although that info might be inaccurate due to difference usage today.

Anyway, if this update really doesn't improve the battery life, it's a bit wrong of Apple to claim that is does. I know this is a beta, of course, and I'm actually expecting the battery performance to get better as they release subsequent betas closer to release. This is assuming that the 'fix' really does fix the battery performance, obviously.

9. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I tell you it's a conspiracy, yes a conspiracy :rolleyes: Personally I will wait and see and evaluate the difference for myself thank you very much.

10. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I think I'll wait for them to get through a few betas first before trying this one out. I don't really have any battery problems and none of the other "fixes" will make any difference to me.

Having said that it is unlikely that they would have the battery life problem sussed already so I guess it will take a few iterations before any improvements are seen.

11. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

And you tried this same thing on the same phone with iOS 5.0? Tried this same test on other non-Apple phones?

12. Beaverman3001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, and how exactly would you do this same test on a non-Apple phone lol? Kind of silly to ask that, wouldn't be comparable at all. If someone wants to spend their day reproducing it on iOS 5.0.0, more power to them. I just put the numbers out there for people to see. But my personal feeling after doing it battery life improvements are not noticeable during usage. Maybe there are benefits in battery life on stand by, but I don't know, just speculation.

13. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:

Conspiracy: an evil, unlawful, treacherous, or surreptitious plan formulated in secret by two or more persons; plot.

Appease: to yield or concede to the belligerent demands of (a nation, group, person, etc.) in a conciliatory effort, sometimes at the expense of justice or other principles.

When did I ever say "conspiracy"?

Seriously, sometimes it's like screaming at a bunch of deaf 2 year olds on this forum.

But, let the blind follow the piper off the cliff.

Enjoy your continued delusion. I on the other hand will be enjoying my new iPhone 4s, fully aware of it's limitations.

14. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Or, you may be pleasantly surprised when 5.1 comes out and returns some (probably modest) improvements in battery life. I'm fairly certain that this will happen even if Apple decide to turn something off to make it so.

15. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Well, for what its worth... yeah, I'd love for them to find a way to improve battery life through a patch. But outside of turning off location or reminders by default, I see few methods they could take.

After I configured my phone to my personal desires, I can get around 8.5 hours of usage, doing whatever I want during the day, so I'm happy either way.

FWIW: I was able to achieve that above same with two different iPhone 4s devices.

16. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Yea it is pretty funny in light of what you wrote:

I am enjoying my iPhone 4S and I don't seem to have an issue with battery life. If Apple provides an update that improved battery life then all the better. I just choose to wait until the official update is released before I go crying wolf. :rolleyes:

17. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

The battery life improvements they talk about won't make any effect when phone is being used near flat out for games, that's a fixed point they can't do anything about. Can't do much to optimise for when CPU/GPU are being used heavily, only for when it's not doing much work or idle. That's where the problems are.

18. Beaverman3001 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't realize you were an apple engineer who knew exactly how iOS works :p there are always things that can be optimized, such as drivers, services, etc.

19. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

Playing games going to take the battery down quickly

that is what anandtech says about the iPhone 4S because of the very good GPU in the iPhone 4S.

may be for normal usage 5.0.1 fixed the battery issues?

20. stevenisHAUNTED macrumors regular

What exactly does the first post prove? I'm pretty sure it's common sense that doing all the OP did will drain your battery like hell.
    I'm pretty sure users were experiencing noticeable battery drain when the phone was on standby.

21. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Where is your control? Where is the iPhone with 5.0 doing the same test results?

22. Beaverman3001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Go do it yourself if you want a control. I'm just posting numbers for people to see. I think most intelligent people can compare or draw comparisons from this to what they are used to on iOS 5.0.0.

23. newyearbabie macrumors newbie

iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, and battery life

I have the 4 and have had intermittent problems w/sudden and drastic reductions in battery life- long b4 ios5. I found out apps were not only running in the background, but draining my battery after I'd turned them off. Skype was the big offender. I changed all my settings to NO for pushing/notifications, rebooted. Turned notifications back on for specific apps. Problem solved on the iPhone.

Same problem on iPad2 and this approach failed to resolve. I'll copy the resolution for the iPhone that was posted on another user forum. Why can't Apple respond to the issues reported on the ATT iphone forum? Why do they leave it to the users to figure it out? I know.... because they don't have to. We're all i-fanatics. :)

24. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Well yes and no. You played games for 2 hours 30 mins, and I personally don't play those games, but the iPhone 4S will consume much greater power when playing these games. The majority of results from users in the "Batterygate" thread are from light work which rarely includes games at all. To be honest if those games are pushing the phone to it's peak then this seems reasonable usage. If your intent was to show 5.0.1 usage time for playing games then this is a good start, but is somewhat pointless if you are trying to determine daily light work usage time.

Basically this is a sample size of one without a control. Change this thread into a "Post your 5.0.1 battery results here" thread and then we're talking.

25. Jason black macrumors regular

My battery life now is already better than my evos, so I'm happy.