iPhone 4S battery usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EarthNeutron, Dec 25, 2011.

?

iPhone 4S usage hours

1. 1-3h

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3-5h

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. 5-7h

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  4. 7-9h

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. 9+h (WTF?)

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  6. I don't give a firetruck!

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

How much usage do you get from your 4S?

I get about 3-4h (my 3GS got 7h). Should I replace my 4S?

2. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

This poll is worthless. Unless everyone uses their iPhone the EXACT same way, your data is of no value.

3. bjb.butler, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

It depends. Here is two of mine over the past week. The lower one I would consider "medium-heavy", and the other "-light-moderate" usage. I haven't had any concerns over battery life, and coming from an Evo 4G, I'm more than satisfied.

Attached Files:

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

uh, not really. while i appreciate the fact that everyone uses the phone differently, that doesn't mean this data has no value. When you take a large enough sample, you can extrapolate an average from it that is a fair representation.

Even if it weren't 100% accurate, it would still have value.

----------

sorry, i haven't been on ios in a while. Should we be combinging the standby and use time for a total? Or do they overlap?

5. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

They overlap.

6. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I basically use it for a couple of games like real racing 2, infinity blade and angry birds (obviously). Other than that, just a little bit of YouTube, reading the news and surfing the web. Anyway, it still runs out of juice pretty fast.

7. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Games drain the battery, especially intensive games like Infinity Blade. Not surprised your batter drains so fast. The only games I play are Flight Control / PvZ, and no more than 30mins a day.

8. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

I love Flight Control, fun game.

Also, yea games kill battery no matter what. I'm not a huge gamer, especially on my cell. I play very simple games that don't do very much to the battery.

----------

And I get about 6 hours usage, with about 35 hours standby. I'm not a heavy user, and this is only on my 2nd full charge. I think batteries take a few charges to calibrate, so maybe mine will improve even though I don't consider it bad. As long as I don't have to charge my phone twice in one day, I'm fine.

9. Shrink, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It sounds like you are saying that if you take an average of a phenomenon, which phenomenon is totally dependent on a dozen other totally uncontrolled variables - you have useful information.

I don't understand that. How can knowing how many hours of battery time one gets, without knowing if the phone was even turned on, or in sleep mode 99% of the time, or if any battery draining apps were on, or if movies were streamed, or if nothing was in use and one 2 min call was made, and on and on - how does knowing how many hours of battery time tell you anything useful without knowing about those other variables? To what can you extrapolate a useless mean score?

10. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

+2 for worthless data...

Like I said on another thread of mine, my usage stats show hours that I'm sure I haven't used. So everyone saying their usage here won't do much good.

However, how many would be willing to try out different profiles?

If, say, 20 of us with the same type of iPhone set it up in the same way, or at least use it in the same way for a few days, and post the usage, we can get somewhere with these tests.
    Otherwise, I don't think this is any relevant.

Just on a side note, my battery varies a bit, but I get more than a day easy with it.

Today in the morning at 11% of battery, I had 11 active and 19 inactive hours. However, like I said previously, I think that the usage stats aren't correct or at least as transparent as they should be.

11. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

let's keep this pool active. I believe it's worth it

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yea if you play games like infinity blade 2, real racing 2, nba2k12 and FIFA your battery is bound to drain quicker as those games kill your battery

----------

My average though is

6 hours + usage
    1 day, 4-8 hours standby

13. white4s macrumors 65816