iPhone 4S battery with ios 5.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jvpython, Mar 10, 2012.

1. jvpython macrumors 6502

My iphone 4S battery before iOS 5.1 was pretty good. I was quite satisfied and I need experienced any fast drainage. But since the 5.1 update I've actually noticed a decrease in battery life. Nothing major but definitely noticeable. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Some people have had better battery usage and some haven't !

Too many variables to ever get a definite answer to this in my opinion.

I use the iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 jb and find my device gives me 1.5 days moderate to heavy usage.

If you perform a search on macRumors you will pull up live existing threads from 4s users on this subject.

Try all the settings tweaks available to save battery usage.

I would suggest you perform a battery calibration and then run the phone as you normally use it, and take screen pictures of your usage ,and then join in one of the current threads posting your pictures to see how yours compares to others.

3. jvpython thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that :)

4. jvpython thread starter macrumors 6502

Battery has been quite a bit better lately as the screenshot shows!

Attached Files:

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

6. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

This is not accurate. People stop posting screenshots other than 1% remaining.

7. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

agreed.

People don't understand that a minor tweak in how the software reports battery life can give the illusion of better battery life.

I did post a screenshot of my phone showing 10+ hours of standby with 100% battery life still showing. This is evidence of some tweaking of how the battery life is reported.

Unless you regularly took your phone down to DEAD before 5.1 and now can do the same with 5.1 and it's legitimately LONGER overall, the rest does not prove ANYTHING except Apple re-programed how the battery meter reports the remaining charge.

I keep hearing people saying "I used to be at 30% by the end of the day, now I'm at 50%!"

woo-hoo. That doesn't mean the battery is magically longer-lasting. It means that, where apple used to under-report remaining battery life under 20%, now they don't. My theory is that Apple built in some sort of "cushion" if you will so that when your phone reaches 20% you don't *really* have 20% remaining but you have something like 30-40% and the last 20% is going to drain more slowly as to not leave you stranded. Perhaps all they did with 5.1 is to level out the curve. Now when it reports 20% you really have 20% remaining. Does this mean that the battery is lasting longer? No. It just means that most people never took their phone down to 0% and timed it from 100%-0% so they are under the impression that their battery is up to 20% better now than it ever was when in reality, it's not.

They could program it so that 90% of the battery is lost in the first 20% of what the meter shows. That is -- You could go all day and it may still show 85% but in reality your battery has dropped something like 80%. That would make you think your battery is AWESOME...

I'm not saying this is exactly what Apple did. Heck I really do hope they made the battery life better! I'm just saying it's really easy for them to change how the little percent meter calculates things which would lead to the illusion of better battery life.

8. cynics macrumors G3

I thought it was better then I thought it was worse so I averaged them and decided its the same as it was with 5.0.1

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I think it's the same battery life. In a sense it's worse for me cause it sits at 100% on standby for HOURS not giving me an accurate representation of my battery life. As soon as I pick it up and start using it, it drops.

10. karenmb macrumors newbie

Here is my "trick"

Seems like if I close all the apps and turn the phone off after a full charge, my battery life is pretty great. If I don't, not so much! Here is an interesting tidbit too...I didn't restart this morning and after a couple hours with really no use, it went down 6%, so I closed all apps and restarted. It now jumped back up to 99%!

11. jakebechtold macrumors member

jakebechtold

I think you're on to something here... mine was at 88%, just restarted and it's back to 92%! Interesting.

12. cynics macrumors G3

You guys tried calibrating the battery? I doubt anything is changing about the battery more of just the accuracy of what it's telling you it is.

On a side note mine will be around 6 hours of usage when it dies which is exactly the way 5.0.1 was.

[​IMG]