iPhone 4s browser versus the competition

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BearerOBadNews, Jan 21, 2012.

1. BearerOBadNews macrumors member

Saw this video comparison of the iPhone 4s browser and the galaxy nexus. I have the 4S and I will say that I always felt the browser was between average to good. I'd give our browser a B- overall. After watching this video I can definitely see there is always room for improvement. Maybe in iOS 6 they will add some more features to the browser. Also, I have the same problem on cnn.com as the guy in the video does. Every time I try to read something on the full version of cnn it always reverts back to mobile. Very annoying.

http://youtu.be/tLcTwDBTguM

2. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I think the iphone's browser could use a bit of an update. All in all it's pretty much (for the most part) the same browser it has been for years now. A few years ago it was a decent browser. At the present time I feel there are several browsers out there that are better and more robust that iOS' Safari browser. The iphone's browser has yet to really change and because it hasn't changed I feel it has fallen behind. For example, it makes no sense to have to jailbreak just to be able to upload straight from the browser. You should be able to do that anyway. I find the iOS browser to be lacking in various areas and think it could really benefit from an update.
    BTW, thanks for posting that, I wasn't going to do it because people here tend to not be very open minded. lol hope you brought your flame suit. :)

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I want to be able to download from iPhone's stock browser! Come on, iPad can have that. Why not iPhone? Using 3rd party apps just to be able to download things does not feel the same if it was integrated.

4. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Safari sucks, IMO. Perfect Browser and Atomic Web are superior IMHO, and I've tested most of the browsers available from the App store. Tabs, far more preferences in both (themes in Atomic Web) rotation lock, downloads, google compression available, and in my experience faster load times.

5. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Mobile safari is pretty crappy IMO,lack of text reflow makes no sense considering the tiny iPhone screen. Having to constantly scroll back and forth to read a website was driving me nuts. I don't understand why Apple doesn't allow you to change the default browser without jailbreaking. I'm loving the ICS stock browser on my Galaxy Nexus,it's fast and smooth as hell.

6. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I just downloaded Atomic. Is there a way to make it the "default" browser? :confused: IOWs, if I click on a URL in an email, how can I get Atomic Web to launch instead of Safari?

7. cynics macrumors G3

Apple doesn't think that's a good idea for you.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Nope.

iOS doesn't have a way to set a "default" App.

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Exactly... They'd know that using the slow, featureless default browser is the only way to go for the best iPhone experience.

Similar to how you can't change the flippin' gamma without jailbreaking. Heck, even the Android asks if you want to set a default browser when you open a new one. :rolleyes:

For now, I just set Atomic Web or Perfect Browser (I rotate them occasionally) in my lower right dock, and copypasta links into the browser.

10. cynics macrumors G3

I haven't tried any other browsers for this reason. I know it would continually annoy be when it opens safari.

11. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

I do the same thing, but stick to Atomic. The ability to set a different default browser is my number one wish for iOS but I'm pretty sure it won't happen.

12. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I really see no reason they can't allow you to select your own default browser. Especially since Safari is so bland and featureless. But once again, Apple knows best....A person shouldn't have to jailbreak a phone just to do something as simple as choose their own default browser. That is just plain ridiculous IMO.

13. BearerOBadNews thread starter macrumors member

I just don't understand why Apple couldn't just give us a capable browser to begin with instead of this gimped browser. Or at least make it so that we can change our default browser without having to hack the phone. It's pretty stupid that I have to do something that voids my warranty just to be able to change my default browser. That is crazy. :mad:

14. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

I use Skyfire since it was in Alpha testing on Windows in 2006. No matter the phone I have had its one of the first things that go on. Even on Android I did not care for the stock browser.

15. BearerOBadNews thread starter macrumors member

My thing is, we should have the freedom to choose what browser we would like as our default browser. I personally don't care for skyfire and would never put it on my phone. However, obviously you like it, so you should be able to make it your default browser without having to do something to void your warranty.

16. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I agree. I'm currently using the gesture and sub-menu one-handed browser Portal (can't think of a simpler way to put that, so here's a video :D) and while it's a little limited, I love it.

Browsers like Atomic Web and Perfect Browser blow Safari out of the water. Why we can't just choose our own default browser is beyond me.

17. sk58781111 macrumors member

18. cynics macrumors G3

I wish apple would set up with a good browser! A lot of web pages just don't work luckily there are mobile versions of a lot of those pages.

There have been quite a few times when I've been out places trying to look at a certain web page and my friends and I have to turn to the android user of the group.

I'm curious how well a windows phone can deal with those web pages.

19. hot spare macrumors 6502

Chrome (in Beta now) for Android was released today. Looks great to me

20. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I'm using it right now. It murders any other mobile browser I have ever used. Stock browser for ice cream sandwich was near perfect but its an improvement even over that. The speed is insane. For everything apple does perfect I wish they would give some attention to improving the browser:(

Although on my Mac, safari is king.:D