iPhone 4S + caller name ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hibanzai, Dec 27, 2011.

1. hibanzai macrumors member

I want to verify that iPhone 4s' with the caller id with name feature on their plans work fine, since my carrier is claiming it's a phone issue not a carrier issue.

How to test:

when a caller that is NOT in your contacts calls and the name associated with the number is shown instead of just the number then it works!

If you only get numbers, never names and you know you have the feature in your plan with your 4s then please say so.

I want to see if any 4s owners with this feature have it working properly on their phones.

Carriers I know who definitely have this feature are; Fido and Rogers in Canada.
    Anybody who knows other carriers with this feature please be free to post in this thread.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Sprint in the U.S. doesn't have it, but then if they aren't in my contacts, I also don't care who they are, I'm not answering it.

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm sorry, but you lost me. Can you please re-explain? I'm not trying to be rude. I just want to understand your issue as I have a Caller ID issue with Sprint, which I can't seem to resolve. Thanks.

4. hibanzai thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the late reply, and sorry for the lack of good sentence structure. ;P

There is a feature with my carrier called "Caller ID+ name." It essentially shows you not just the number, but the name of the caller who is calling you. I mean for the callers who are not in your contacts. This name is usually the name associated with the number when registered.

Now I have this feature with my carrier and it used to work fine. It however does not work on my 4S. After inquiring with my carrier reps, who are renowned for their mighty BS, they told me that it doesn't work on the 4S and that it is a phone issue rather than a carrier. The customer representative I spoke to, claimed his Nexus doesn't have this feature either. That androids and iPhones can't show names because of the way their software is programmed. His obvious lie was when he told me that apple will release a fix for that in the next update.

Quite obviously, this agent said whatever needed to be said so I can get of the phone as fast as possible. I simply wanted to figure out whether the 4S is the problem or the carrier. After reading this forum, I came to the conclusion that the 4 can use this feature. (correct me if am mistaken)

Hope this post is much clearer.

Again, anybody with this feature and an iPhone 4S, please state in this thread if the feature works or not. That is all am asking.

I am not interested in your opinions, if such feature is worthwhile or not. *Looks at verwon*

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Much Clearer Thanks. I think, I'm going to have someone reply to this as I am not familiar with that setup with your cell carrier.

My issue with caller id is different. With Sprint, you can go into Settings and choose how you want your name to appear on caller id's. I can't seem to get it to work. I've made the Edits/Changes and my name still appears for both phone lines (my account), however, the other line/phone is not.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Don't you look at me like that!!!

I never said it wasn't worthwhile, I can understand why people would want such a thing, it's just pointless for me! I rarely give out my number, so if I get a call that isn't in my contacts, there's a pretty high chance it's a wrong number, anyway.

And that rep was full of it, I know my Android phone on Sprint supported it, I always got an ID, if there was one registered to the phone number.

7. Stever71 macrumors newbie

i am with rogers canada. Ever since switching from my BB to the 4s i have lost the name display feature. I called and complained becasue I am paying for name+number caller id and was told it was a phone issue which apple will correct with the next update

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm thinking it may also be with the iPhone. My preferred Called I.D. has been set up with Sprint, and to no avail does my I.D. appear the way I want when I make calls.

9. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I never knew about this feature. I hope they fix it. typically I dont answer if they are not on my contacts list anyway, but it still could be useful if its something i forgot. Its a useful feature for sure. provided it actually works.

10. NathanA macrumors 6502a

This is an interesting thread. My understanding (and experience in the U.S. over the years -- close to 15 -- as a mobile phone customer, from AMPS and cdmaOne to GSM/UMTS, across regional and national carriers such as AirTouch, Verizon, Inland, and finally Cingular/AT&T) is that CNAM services have never been available to cellular users. In fact, until I ran into this thread, I was pretty sure CNAM delivery was never even part of any of the technical/protocol specs, which would have precluded any cell phone company from offering it to anybody -- even if they wanted to -- short of introducing their own proprietary extension to GSM or CDMA2K along with special phones (or special firmware for their phones) built special for them by the handset manufacturers...

So I'll have to do some more research now that you claim there *are* carriers that can do this (but what technology is their network built on? and with what phones does this work?), but my knee-jerk reaction is that even if this is true and U.S. wireless carriers are just cheapskates who don't want to pay for CNAM database dips when originating calls for their customers, the iPhone probably does not support the receipt nor display of inbound CNAM information.

I wonder what percentage of wireless carriers worldwide support CNAM delivery...

-- Nathan

11. Stever71 macrumors newbie

I have caller name and number with all the Canadian carriers I've used for years. My iPhone 4s is the first to cause issue