IPhone 4s calling problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XxS4CR3DxX, Nov 2, 2011.

1. XxS4CR3DxX macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

Hi all just thought I'd post on here to see if anyone is having same issue, I've had my iPhone 4s 32g white since launch day, the problem is if I call out I can't here anything but people can here me fine, if someone calls me everything is fine.

I've tried everything I can think of, restored it as a new iPhone, reseting it as well, I've contacted my provider wich is three I'm in the uk by the way, but if anyone is having same sort of issue or can think of anything to try please let me know thanks.

2. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

You need to go swap it for a replacement. This is a hardware problem with the new iPhone 4S but for some reason doesn't affect every unit that has shipped.

You can find hundreds of people affected by it on this thread over at Apple's Discussion forums.

You may want to add your voice to that discussion so that Apple tech support people can see how many people are being affected by it.

3. XxS4CR3DxX thread starter macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

4. dantesz macrumors newbie

I have a white 16gb 4s, I'm having the same issue. It worked fine for awhile but now when I call people, I wont hear a ringing sound; no sound at all. But i can hear myself echo threw the phone. But apparently they can hear me. Or the phone would go into speaker mode without me pressing the speaker option, and wont get out of speaker mode. Top that off with I can hear them but they cant hear me.

Should i go to my service provider for a fix or directly to the apple store ?

5. iTouch macrumors 6502

Just bought my iPhone 4S device only and had the same issue. I guess I have to go back to the Apple Store to get a replacement. I thought it was an issue for T-Mobile.

6. XxS4CR3DxX thread starter macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

I've just sent mine back to three and they refunding everything even the new contract

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I just discovered I have the same problem on my 4S. I'm on Vodafone Ireland. I make a call and cant hear a thing not even the dial tone, then the timer comes up as the call connects but I can't hear the other side but they hear me, I can hear myself in the speaker.

I disconnect and call back and this time it's fine.

So is this a software or hardware fault?

8. MacAttacked macrumors member

Funny, on my handset when I call anyone they can't hear me for about 3 seconds, every time! This is my third handset, same problem. I don't think it's a hardware issue.

9. climber20 macrumors member

I'm on verizon and mine does this once in a while. A way around the problem is to push the speakerphone button while you're on the call and push it again to turn it off. This has restored the sound for me every time. Sometimes I have to push the speakerphone button 3 or 4 times for it to work, but it has worked consistently.

The older iPhones had some issue where the phone would think you had headphones plugged in so it wouldn't transmit any sound through the earpiece. Repeatedly plugging in and removing a headphone plug into the jack a few times supposedly resolved the issue, but I'm not sure it made much difference on my phone.