iPhone 4s camera flash hazy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nejnej85, Oct 24, 2011.

1. nejnej85 macrumors newbie

I know i saw a few threads about issues with the iPhone 4s camera flash. When i take a picture and it's in a dark setting my pictures come out very hazy and washy. Almost like a whitish, blurry tint to it. Are people still experiencing these problems? I am going to have Verizon send me a new phone but i wasn't sure if it is just the 4s in general doing that or if my phones camera really is defective. I appreciate everyones help/feedback. Thanks!!

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

4 possiblities

1. fingerprints
    2. case interference
    3. you left the plastic wrap on the phone.
    4. defective

3. nejnej85 thread starter macrumors newbie

i've cleaned my lense, ive taken it with and without the case on all with the same result,and my plastic wrap is off the phone. I guess it means defective :(

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

5. nejnej85 thread starter macrumors newbie

it's not about being "picky" thank you very much. if my apple product is defective then i would like one that is not since i paid a lot of money for it and have owned it for a total of 8 days. I was just looking for help, please don't post here if all you want to do is be "smart."

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Should have been clearer. That was due to the influx of people on here that think everyone should just stop complaining and thank the good lord the people at apple reinvented the wheel and made the 4S for all of us.

I say if you have a problem voice your concern. There is a chance that the phone is doing it because by design the new camera was to allow more light in, which is why some people have complained about milky or hazy pictures. With the flash it may be exaggerated. (My opinion)>

7. nejnej85 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

9. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

Certain situations give the hazy but I can't narrow it down. I was outside this weekend at night and got the white haze... but if I tried to tap on the screen to focus where I thought the object was, it was either less hazy or none at all.

Then I tried it at home and got no haze in a dark room.. but did not always focus right (expected since it's a pitch black room) but tapping on the screen where I wanted it to focus resulted in the picture being sharp and no haze.

I do think it's a matter of the initial flash that comes on before the picture is taken so the camera can focus is too short and doesn't give the camera enough time to do it's adjustments (focus and exposure).

10. nejnej85 thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone is white. I've tapped on the phone and done numerous angles and adjustments but nothing seems to be clear. But when my friend does it with hers it's crystal clear and she has the 4. I thought the 4s camera was supposed to be improved. The day time pictures turn out beautifully.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Take some sample pictures, then take it to the Apple store. They'll probably swap it out.

12. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Yea is it the white one? Im hoping to pick one up tomorrow.

13. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah, I called Verizon about swapping out my wife's white 4S, she likes my black better. Paid full price for both, bc they are back ordered so badly right now u will have to use ur credit card and pay for the replacement up front. Doesn't matter if u are within ur return period. It's a pain, I've been a customer with them for 15 years if u count the time spent on my parents plan about ten years ago(before they were even called Verizon) and this is the first time I've encountered something this crappy. It's not like usual when they put a placeholder charge on your account until your old phone is returned upon your receiving the new one. U actually have to pay for it with a credit card and once they receive yours back they credit it back. In her case, a 32GB phone, it was something like $825.xx tax and all, so I really don't want that on my card gaining interest whether they credit or back or not. They told me they could put a note on my acct and let me swap it out for a "brand new" one when they get stocked up or my local store gets them. Actually the original reason wasn't even to change colors, it was for a rattling sound the phone made while in vibrate mode. I'm OCD, and she just tosses her iPhones around like they are free and she is the one who this bothered. So def a problem, we just figured since we were in the first 14 days or whatever we would just change colors. Either way, long story short, it's a pain in the ass to exchange right now.

Btw, when they said they would "note" my acct, I told them I wanted it replaced now, within my 14 days to get a brand new phone, what I paid for, not a refurb. They reassured me I would still get this. I told them I wouldn't be satisfied if I took this route unless the phone came sealed in the apple iPhone 4S box. All this was random, sorry for thread jack.

14. nejnej85 thread starter macrumors newbie

yup mine is white. yeah verizon is going to send me a brand new phone just sucks cause i really dont even want to transfer my stuff. oh well

15. kdnole macrumors member

It's the plastic cover on the back of the phone. I was at the Apple store when my daughter saw it and asked if I wanted to leave and she would tell the genius bar person so I wouldn't be embarrased. Such a nice daughter looking out for her dad.

16. nejnej85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what you are saying....i went to the Verizon store and they were actually told me they would have to take my iphone from me and have me reactivate my old blackberry til they got a new shipment in. i told them this was not happening. Then she told me if they didnt get a new shipment in within my 14 day grace period then i was out of luck to get a brand new phone. i was not having that. i called the verizon number on my phone and they were so much more helpful and will send me a brand new phone when they get a shipment in and i can keep my iphone until they send me a new one.

----------

no my plastic cover is off my phone.

17. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Had the same issue for the first time this weekend at a wedding. A few of the pics I took came out with a white hazy look b/c of the flash while most others didn't. It seems to be happening b/c the shutter is going off too quickly when the flash is activated so i'm fairly confident it's a software issue. It only happens in certain lighting but the issue makes the images look terrible.

18. nejnej85 thread starter macrumors newbie

do you think getting a new one will help or is it just a problem that is going to continue?

19. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I believe this is a problem with all 4S's but only certain people have experienced it b/c it needs to be under a specific lighting condition.

20. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

On my white iPhone 4S I have tjhe hazy flash pictures. I tested it against my friends iPhone 4 running iOS5 and her pictures with flash were great while mine looked hazy.

I do not have a case on the 4S nor do I have the plastic backing still on the phone. Non-flash pictures look great though.

21. nejnej85 thread starter macrumors newbie

22. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Do you leave the plastic on your furniture too?

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Don't ask this to an Italian over the age of 65, they may say yes.

24. gothamguy macrumors member

Sorry if this is a stupid answer, but have you checked how you are holding the phone? The 4S is my first iPhone, and the night I got it the flash was washing out all the photos. When I looked, it is because I was holding the phone upside down (so the lens was on the top and the home button on the right). I am right handed so I wanted to hit the shutter button with my right thumb. Problem is, my fingers were then extended out above the lens and the flash was bouncing off of them.

When I flipped the phone over only my thumb was on the edge of where the lens is, and the flash issues were solved.

25. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

This made me lol. "You're holding it wrong." I've had every iPhone since the original...has nothing to do with how it's being held.