iPhone 4S Camera Focusing Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DreyDawg, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DreyDawg macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4S camera goes through the entire focus range every time it tries to autofocus before taking a photo adding about 3 seconds time between shots.

Anyone else having the same issue?

2. Airmark1 macrumors regular

In camera mode, mine definitely sits there and goes through several focuses. It's driving me batty. I can sit and watch it focus and re focus several times again without touching anything. And I'm talking complete blur to focus without any changes to the subject.

3. eenuuk macrumors regular

Yes mine does the same. Until last night I never realised that it does the same in video mode. I tried to shoot a fireworks display. I never realised that it focuses like in the camera first then you click record. It allowed me to record a 20 min show all blurry!

As for the photos, it is dam annoying that it focuses each time, especially if you are taking multiple shots of the same scene!

4. Airmark1 macrumors regular

My wife 4s does the same. I assume it is a software issue. I guess it could be 2 bad 4s's. We both upgraded from regular 4's that were already IOS 5.0 upgraded. If that makes a difference. Maybe the error transfers that way.

5. Airmark1 macrumors regular

And yeah. I did a time lapse video. The subject distance was exactly the same with subjct movement. When I viewed the time lapse video (of multiple stills) it was filled with blurred pictures every few seconds (every few minutes of actually photo shots). Pretty lame.

6. eenuuk macrumors regular

Yes it is, after last night I think I will submit a bug on the developer network.

7. ernbrdn macrumors newbie

For what it's worth if your taking multiple shots of the same object, you can tap and hold the camera focus, and it will lock focus and exposure. Maybe a workaround?

8. julesw macrumors member

julesw

tap

Yes tap and hold you get a double flash of the square and it locks exposure and focus and some text appears on screen to confirm this.

For video you can lock focus, exposure and white balance separately using a great app called Filmic Pro.

I agree though it shouldn't roam focus so much, on the ipad which is fixed focus
    you don't get this.

9. eenuuk macrumors regular

Thanks for that, I never knew.

Seems a lot of the things that annoy people on ios are actually already taken care of! Shame Steve hated instruction manuals :)

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I experience the same on my 4 since I upgraded to iOS 5, so I don't think it's the phone.

11. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

i didn't know you could do that. thats a very helpful tip.

my camera, however, is not going through this repeated focus issue. if i turn on the camera it focuses and then as long as i don't make any significant movements it just waits for me to press the shutter button. if i move enough it will refocus but thats normal.

12. rj3000 macrumors newbie

("First time, long time" here!)

Been having this same issue -- driving me crazy.

Genius bar did a complete reset for me to address a couple of days ago (DFU.... or DNR or something!) -- was a little better, but still seems to crop up intermittently.

I'm *back* at the Apple Store right now and the Genius Bar gal said that she was told it is an issue that they are working on; to be addressed via a future iOS software update (ala the battery issue).