iPhone 4S camera sound question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jethryn Freyman, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Hi guys.

My current Nokia makes a loud sound when taking a photo, which can't be turned off. Even putting the phone on silent wont shut it up.

I'm wondering if the synthetic sound that an iPhone makes when taking a photo can be turned off somewhere in the options under iOS 5. I;d rather like to know this before I take the plunge on my first iPhone...

2. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Umm... if you put your phone on silent, it will silent the camera shutter sound. But the sound still activates in silent mode in some countries.

3. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Yes.

Turn the mute switch ON and it'll be silent, at least on the iPhones i have had!

4. blesio macrumors regular

M Quick did you read the post above? Obviously you haven't, because you wrote basically the same thing....

5. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Yes i did, but if you read the previous before that you would see an answer that was the opposite, and i was just confirming the other answer, you see my point? No?

I'll explain, if someone else reads here and they see two different answers and no-one confirmed the other, they come to the conclusion that they got no answer! Easy huh?

So, you just had to come of as a douche or what was the point?

6. wharzhee macrumors 6502

reminds me..

i think in some countries it cannot be disabled to prevent abuse. abuse such as people taking photos from above the cubical in the toilet, or under skirts. etc.

but for me, i just tried it out, when in silent mode, it doesnt make any sound.

7. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Actually, I explained pretty clearly that silencing the ringer switch will disable the camera shutter sound. The iPhone in certain areas, for example ones sold in Japan doesn't silence the camera shutter due to laws in Japan regarding people taking up-skirt pictures in public. Not knowing where the OP is, I can't say for sure if they will definitely receive an iPhone that mutes the camera shutter.

EDIT: My apologies to the OP, I can see you're from Australia. I'm from Australia too, and if you are buying your iPhone in Australia, I can confirm that the camera shutter can be silenced.

8. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Yes, i still know that, what is the problem?

9. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Even in countries where you cannot mute it, just putting your finger over the speaker will attenuate it so much it cannot be heard.

If you have some sort of case on then the sound may "leak" around your finger but on a bare phone it works.