iPhone 4S - Can't sync over Wifi (I've tried it all)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by technosinner, Jun 7, 2013.

1. technosinner macrumors newbie

technosinner

Hi.

I know this is not a new issue but I've literally tried every single little fix, no matter how ridiculous it was to try and fix this dumbass WIFI sync and nothing works...

So I have an iPhone 4S (GSM). I syncs fine when plugged into USB. If I leave iTunes open and disconnect the phone, it will also sync through WIFI. If I quit iTunes and restart it however, gone. Simply gone!

The device doesn't appear in iTunes but in the iPhone under settings I can force it to sync with my Mac. Problem is it doesn't see the Mac and just give me a spinner forever.

Obviously all the proper requirements are checked, and I've tried restarting everything, resetting the networks settings on the iPhone and a bunch of process killing voodoo and no matter what it happens again.

Here's more: my iPad is ALWAYS visible and connected. And it has this behavior on now three different networks, both WIFI and wired on the Mac. So I'm no engineer but I'd say I covered it all as far as "non-piece of crap system" possibilities.

I'm about ready to quit iOS all together :mad: (for more than just this naturally), but a solution to this, if there is any, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

As u, I've been on the same road and I AM an engineer.

Recently I read an interested article, the original creator of WIFI sync was a third party developer. At some point Apple kicked his app from the App Store for whatever, then the guy took his app to Cydia and made a bundle. Apple Finally saw the potential of this app and offered the guy a job but he declined, but Apple went ahead and bought his App anyways, and am thinking, perhaps BROKE IT!

So what am saying? If ur already JB'ed anyways look for an old version of this thing?

That's all I got.

3. iphone46 macrumors regular

What version of OSX is your computer on? :)apple: -> About This Mac)

4. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Same problem here

Once in a while if I restart iTunes, sync will happen - but generally not at all. It works effortless with my iPad mini. I'm waiting to see if it works better with iOS 7 and/or iPhone 5S. For the time being, I just use my 30 pin connector. I'm not willing to turn off cellular to see if AT&T signal is somehow interfering as it's not that important, just irritating. (My iPad mini is Verizon but I've never activated the data plan. I just wanted the GPS chip.)

5. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Like the OP my iPad is always visible but my iPhone never is. The only say I can get it to work is by restarting the Apple Mobile Device service and quit/reopen iTunes. The phone will then show up and a sync initiated from the computer works, but only one or two times before it stops again.

I use Splashtop to connect to the computer so I don't have to go into the room to do any of this. Since I only need to sync once a week or so to update play counts & last played date, this solution works for me for the time being until a permanent fix happens (not holding my breath)

6. technosinner thread starter macrumors newbie

technosinner

Hahaha that actually makes me feel better! And I used to have WifiSync on my previous iPhone; although I am JB, the old versions I've tried are all broken...

10.7.5. I'm looking at going to 10.8 so I can then go to 10.9 (since it looks pretty amazing). Did you have better luck with different versions?

I'm with Rogers in Canada, and my iPad is Wifi only so I'm curious to see if that would make a difference; I'll try it.

I tried restarting the service and even that fails...

At least I'm happy to see I'm not alone. I'm less impressed with Apple's apparently sliding standards though...

7. technosinner, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

technosinner thread starter macrumors newbie

technosinner

Now I might be on to something........

As I'm -again- trying to fix this annoyance I went into Activity Monitor to see if I could tweak something. I'm at my mother's place for the weekend and brought only my iPhone not my iPad. Guess what? AppleMobileDeviceHelper process isn't there! At all! iTunes is running, MBP and iPhone connected, but no process...?

I'll investigate further.

FOLLOW UP

So I realized that maybe, just maybe there was something off with iTunes. I went and deleted iTunes using the following command in terminal (careful, this is an unprompted and permanent deletion):

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app
    and I deleted the following kext file:

Code:
    /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext
    Then I simply downloaded iTunes again from Apple and reinstalled. And presto, it now recognizes my iPhone without any other manipulation. **See next post** Disclaimer: I haven't put it through it's paces - it's only been 15 minutes - so I can't vouch for a permanent fix, but I'll keep posted.

8. technosinner thread starter macrumors newbie

technosinner

Well, quite a few days later and I'm still having good results! I can't say for sure this is a permanent fix, but 2 different networks and several reboots on both sides and it seems to work fine!

Hope this helps someone down the road.