Iphone 4s Cellular data not working after updating from ios 5.0.1 to 5.1.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by OJ^, Jun 3, 2012.

1. OJ^, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

OJ^ macrumors newbie

So, as the thread title says I have the problem that my cellular data does not work anymore.

I was on a jailbroken 5.0.1 for a long time, then last weekend when the untethered jailbreak for the 5.1.1 came, I updated to that and applied the new jailbreak. Did this over the weekend, then Monday morning on my way to work on the train noticed that my 3G is not working anymore, the entire icon next to the carrier name is gone.

Ive double and triple checked that the cellular data network settings are correct, re-setted them and entered them again etc, and no luck. As I thought that maybe this is a problem due to 5.1.1, I went and downgraded back to 5.0.1 today with redsn0w, but the same thing - I don't have cellular data anymore, the icon is not there, nor does it work when you try to use Safari etc.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Could it be that something has broken hardware wise? This is driving me nuts, as without the cellular data this Iphone is half useless, and now that the downgrade didn't help either, I have no clue what to try next.

*edit* and also since the cellular data stopped working, I cannot either send any SMS. Can receive them though.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

2. OJ^ thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?

I'm at a loss here as to what to do... :(

3. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

4. OJ^ thread starter macrumors newbie

5. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Restore and set it up as new. If that doesn't work, can't you take it to an Apple store?

6. OJ^ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I will try that next, restoring and setting up as new. But the thing is, I do wanna restore my settings etc as well, so can I then restore them afterwards? To restore from iCloud backup.

The problem about taking it back for repair/to get a new one is that I'm from Finland but I live in Spain, and I bought it from Finland last November without any contract, so I have to take it to Finland for repair I think, to the operator from which I bought it. And the problem is they will not just straight away give me a new one, but it will go to the repair centre, and they didn't give me any guarantees how long it will take to either get it fixed or to get a new one. I am actually going to Finland next week, but only for 6 days, so for sure I won't get it back in time.

That's the reason why I'm really trying everything to solve this myself.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Unless it was a factory unlocked iPhone your baseband either got overwrote or isn't compatible.

8. OJ^ thread starter macrumors newbie

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If it's under warranty any Apple retailer worldwide should be able to swap it for you.

10. Mac.80 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. My carrier (Etisalat in UAE) is unable to assist. Any ideas?

11. kmbaz macrumors newbie

Same problem here. I posted on Apple discussion forums a little bit ago. There's a group over there discussing the same issue. It does not seem to be too widespread, but does seem to be a growing problem. Restarting the phone and/or resetting network settings are the two (short-term) solutions. The problem consistently comes back.

Here's the thread:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3852850?start=0&tstart=0

12. jdr00ejr macrumors newbie

I'm on Verizon and experience the same issues. Wish I had information to share but mostly replying here to watch and hope someone has better details.