IPhone 4S constant crashes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tyler23, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hey everyone.

Bought an iPhone 4s a few weeks ago and am finding that it crashes all of the time

Whenever I try to use the Shazam app, any gps app, and most of my games, the phone will show a black screen with the spinner, then kick me back out to my lock screen. This happens at least 30 times a day. Quitting apps and restarting my phone do nothing to help the situation.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Back screen with a spinner, then a return to the lock screen is caused by Springboard crashing (aka the homescreen).

This can be a common occurrence if you've got dodgy jailbreak tweaks running.
    However, I'm assuming you're not jailbroken since you didn't mention anything about it.

Springboard crashes on stock devices are extremely rare. I've only ever had it happen to me when jailbroken or using a developer beta firmware, so I'm not sure as to the cause of the crashes.

There is a cure: do a restore from a backup.
    If the problems persist, do a fresh restore without the backup.
    If they still persist, go to Apple.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yup either do a clean restore or visit an apple store genius

4. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

Ive been having this issue as well. Also, my 3G and location services were acting up.

The Apple Store genius did a diagnostic on my phone and found that several applications were crashing. EVen the daemon process for core apps like LocationD, Mail, and data were crashing as well. His prognosis was that my iOS was most likely corrupt and I should do a restore (NOT from backup). But a full restore, and then install apps.

5. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

yep. i agree, restore then try apple store

6. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Correct, I have not jail broken this phone. I'd really like to avoid a full restore as I will lose my photos and saved game/web data, unless that's the only way. Pretty disappointed that I paid this much for this brand new phone and its almost unusable. Games, weather apps, gps apps all cause the springboard to crash.

It's so incredibly frustrating..

7. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Just restore and set up as a new phone. My wife had this happen and I'm so sure it was a crappy app she had somewhere. It was the only thing I could think of. Just don't do a backup from a restore and carefully select what apps you put on there. If you don't use an app, don't put it on the phone.

8. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Ok, so a few questions with restoring..

If I do a restore, how do I get all of my contacts back? Will I need to re-register my phone/get new phone number? Anything else I need to know or that I should be thinking about?

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Well unfortunately if you are facing these crash issues then you only have 2 choices. A. Perform a full restore, or B. take it to the genius bar and they will run diagnostic, if they find fault, they will replace it.

Make sure you back up your phone first.

A. There are two types of restore
    1. Restore from back up: Pretty much if you made a backup via icloud or through itunes, you can use this option and everything will be back on your phone prior to restoring.

2. Restore from New: You will lose everything here and start from scratch.

If you choose to restore from backup, there are chances that the corrupt data may follow and you may have the same symptoms as before prior to restoring. So I would suggest starting from scratch regardless of where you are in game save.

However, if some games that you play have gamecenter and you are logged in, it usually saves where you are and even if you do restore as a new phone, if you log in, there is a chance that you can get your game back. For instance, I play Tiny Tower and if I do a restore as new, pretty much my gamesave is gone, but if I log into game center, and open tiny tower, it will give me an option if I want to load the last gamesave. I eventually got my progress back.

Some games are tied to your UDID, so it's possible that those games won't be wiped and you can continue where you left off.

I wouldn't be discourage by this because it can happen to anyone. So if it still persists, you will have to see the genius bar at apple store and get it replaced.

10. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Thanks for your responses.

I have a lot of games, but am not too worried about losing game data.

My main concern is my contacts. Will those still be there after a full restore? I really need my phone and can't afford to go without it for more than an hour. Also, would this delete even my Carrier information and my phone number and such?

I wish I could just ignore it and not bother with restoring it, but the constant crashes are so frustrating, I need to do something about it.

11. cotak macrumors regular

If you sync it with itunes or the cloud, and you have set it to sync contacts. You should be able to restore it all. There should be detailed instructions on how to restore factory and get back your stuff online somewhere. Try googling it. Or maybe ask siri how to do it. I wonder if Siri would start signing daisy daisy... LOL.

12. SurferMan macrumors 65816

If you have a Mac, use Image Capture (or similar program for windows if that's what you have) and take the vids/photo's off the phone and put into a folder. You can also sync with Gmail to make sure you have a backup copy of your contacts if iTunes or the restore goes screwy.

13. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Do you have a gmail account? Having your contacts there and setting up the email as an 'exchange' account on your phone and following online directions on how to have the contacts sync is the best/easiest way to manage contacts.

As for you pictures, if you don't have photostream enabled, just plug your phone into your PC (assuming you don't have a mac) and copy your pictures to a folder on your pc and then just sync that folder after the full restore or when/if you get a new device.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Update your apps
    contact apple for support

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its a software problem.
    There might be something corrupt with your backup file.
    Try restoring and setup as new to see if the same issues continue or not.