iPhone 4S currently Jailbroken with 5.0.1...best way to upgrade to 5.1.1 jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by daemonite, May 27, 2012.

1. daemonite macrumors member

Right now I have a perfectly working jailbroken iPhone 4S and I wouldn't mind going 5.1.1 since there is now an untethered jailbreak.

What is the best way of doing things? I have all my jailbreak apps/settings/sources backed up via xbackup already.

Should I just back up, upgrade to 5.1.1, restore from backup and jailbreak?

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

NO

backup, upgrade to 5.1.1, jailbreak and than restore from itunes backup.
    It's the recommended procedure by pod2g/chronic.

If you restore your backup first, and than jailbreak you can run into problems.

3. jason221 macrumors 6502

I did this and now I can't access my most recent backup. I can only use a backup from sometime in October. Did you set up your phone as a new phone before you jailbroke? Or did you just leave it at that setup screen, jailbreak first, and then restore it from a backup?

4. daemonite thread starter macrumors member

set up as new first...then jailbreak is what i just did

5. Guled macrumors newbie

Just press update on iTunes, and when the system prompts you to backup, just click yes, then system will update it to 5.1.1 without deleting anything. After that, jailbreak it with Absinthe 2.0.2. From there just either get your cydia backups or just redo everything

6. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

Best way IMO

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Jailbreak on a clean phone, don't restore the backup first.

It's what the Devs are recommending, absinthe makes use of the backup/restore function of itunes, if you already have loads of data back on the phone it might get you in trouble.