iPhone 4S Data Connectivity Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Strobe, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Strobe macrumors member

Backstory:
    I have a 4S 32GB on AT&T I bought less than 2 weeks ago. I previously had AT&T on a iPhone 3G years ago and loved it for the full 2 years. I then switched to Sprint, but so displeased with them I'm leaving and planned on going back with AT&T.

Problem:
    My 4S when I first got it worked GREAT on HSPA+ where I live and was getting 5-7Mbps down, even a hair below 8 a few times with pings always under 200ms. After 5-6 days went by I noticed I only get 1-2Mbps now. Also seems as if I'm capped at 2Mbps at times where speed test flat lines at 1.8-2.0 and exactly 1.0 up. Was getting almost 2Mbps up most of the time. I'm mostly worried about the download anyway, which is lacking suddenly. I have rebooted the phone as well as the hard reset and still stuck at under 2Mbps. My boss's iPhone 4 (no HSPA+) gets 4-5 Mbps right next to me. My 4S used to pull 6-7 and beat his, but now I can't get over 2Mbps to save my life.

Secondary Issue: Also noticing SEVERAL spots where my iPhone 3G used to work a couple years ago that this 4S doesn't. I will have 3-4 bars and phone says 3G, but safari opens and says it couldn't activate celluar data network and won't load anything. Will stay like this all the way until I leave. I can text the entire time (iMessages fail and resend as texts) without data, but can text fine.

Any thoughts? Is my 4S a dud?

2. Strobe thread starter macrumors member

3. dotme macrumors 6502a

Have you stopped into an AT&T store and asked them to check/swap the SIM? While there, they can run tests side by side with their own 4S stock as well, and see if there's a problem...

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Go to Settings>General>Reset and select Reset Network Settings. If that doesn't help, Call AT&T CS and ask if there is any maintenance being performed in the area. If that doesn't help, then go to your nearest Apple store and have them run diagnostics. You might get a replacement.

5. Strobe thread starter macrumors member

I did go into the AT&T store where I bought it and the rep said that the 1-2Mbps was typical on my iPhone. The demo phones were locked down so I couldn't compare and when I asked him if anyone had the iPhone in store I could test with he quickly said no one has iPhones. Think he was just blowing me off, and sadly was the guy I bought it off of. Even showed him my numerous 4-7Mbps speed tests I had in the first few days.

I'll give that a try with the settings reset. Hope it works!

6. Strobe thread starter macrumors member

I did the reset mentioned and it seems to have worked! Hopefully this speed stays and I don't have to keep resetting.

[​IMG]

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This is exactly why any iPhone related matter I go to an Apple store, not an AT&T store. I do understand if you don't live near one though.

8. Strobe thread starter macrumors member

That's the exact reason I had to go to AT&T. My nearest Apple Store is about an hour away. Not worth the cost of gas if it is something I can fix on my own or through someones help on the forums :). Thanks.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

iP4s alrady have HSPA+??? I thought it was not ready until iP5?