iPhone 4S death grip (It's here and real... anyone?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by praetorx, Nov 1, 2011.

1. praetorx macrumors regular

I bought the 64GB iPhone 4S (factory unlocked Canadian version) and to my astonishment it suffers from the death grip.

I'm using it on T-Mobile and while I get full bars with my Motorola Pro I only get 2-3 bars with the iPhone. When I cover the left side with my hand (the two antennas) signal drops until the No Service status appears.

I'm desperate to say at least because I bought the phone from a Canadian ebay seller can cannot return it.

Has anyone had any death grip issues with his/her iPhone 4S?

BTW: The phone was sealed in box, part number MD257C/A

2. allthatjazz macrumors regular

3. PapaStu macrumors member

PapaStu

4. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

5. AlohaMaui macrumors member

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

If Steve were here he'd make believers using his convincing denial and curt response.

7. praetorx thread starter macrumors regular

8. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

it was a steve jobs quote from the iphone4 drama.

9. praetorx thread starter macrumors regular

I know, I've heard it before. Actually I've seen cases where people hold their phones in an unusual way but that's not the case here.

Has anyone had problems with their 4S'es or is mine a defective unit?

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

No

11. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

no probs, i really like the new antenna config they got. no dropped calls!

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Well, no less an authority than Anand seems to disagree.

His testing shows that the 4s is significantly better, among the best of all the smart phones he's tested recently.

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

After seeing that video...yeah you are kinda holding it wrong.

Based on a very rigorous, and scientifically sound method of testing, holding it just from the bottom half is actually easier (possibly due to how much you have to raise your hand/arm as you put it to your ear).

I'm half serious there.

(I hold my iPhone between the flat of my thumb, and the inside of the tip of my middle finger, while the index props up the back. The ring finger holds from the bottom).

14. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

That's not really surprising... Given that they basically added an antenna at the top for dual antennas, you can probably replicate the death grip issue if you cover all four bands.

It also makes sense the way Phil Schiller described it: To overcome the loss of signal from the touching of the bottom antenna band, they added a new antenna at the top of the band, so the iPhone can use that instead.

Now, having said that, I don't think it's really an issue since the way you would have to hold the iPhone is just short of ridiculous. I mean... covering all four antenna bands with one hand like you did seems extremely uncomfortable. The iPhone 4 death grip definitely seems explainable since holding the iPhone in a fairly normal way produced the death grip. But four different bands around the iPhone being touched like that... just overall very uncomfortable.

15. maclook macrumors 65816

Dude, I can see you hold the phone normally and purposefully move your pointer finger so that you can cover the top antenna. So you're not only gripping the thing to death, you have to reposition your fingers after doing so.

16. autigerMark macrumors member

autigerMark

I held my iphone 4S exactly the way you did (very uncomfortable btw) and could only get the signal to drop from 5 bars to 4. This is a non-issue.

17. praetorx thread starter macrumors regular

18. Scarrus macrumors regular

What he said^

19. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

OK, so I've got an unlocked (Canadian) 4S and I tried to duplicate the issue. I had 3 bars of signal, and when I put my hands on all parts of the metal band, trying to connect the 4 spots, I lose 1 or 2 bars of signal. I never lost service. But I don't hold my phone in a ridiculous way so I've never had a call drop yet.

20. praetorx thread starter macrumors regular

In the second video I only cover the bottom two antennas which is a more common use case than the first extreme but still loose service :(

21. Steve99 macrumors member

Perhaps the 4S only uses both antennas when in 3G mode (HSPA or CDMA) and only uses one antenna when using old school GSM(TDMA) as you're using with T-mobile.

22. praetorx thread starter macrumors regular

@Steve99, you're probably right, I never thought of this. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow with a work colleague's ATT sim card. Bless you ;)

23. Jest3r macrumors regular

You really should think about changing the title of this thread, as you're using the phone on a non-supported network.

24. BAZ1307 macrumors member

Nope. Covering the antenna on my unprotected iPhone 4S at the bottom left with my hand does nothing to the signal at all. I think the 'Death Grip' or whatever is a thing of the past with the iPhone 4S.

This isn't an issue...
    ...for most people.