iPhone 4S - decent upgrade from 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jacg, Sep 15, 2012.

1. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I was looking forward to Siri and a better camera on the iPhone 5, but I was wondering if I would save myself some accessory pain by just going for the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4 I have will miss some of the iOS 6 features but the 4S seems to get most of them. There won't be LTE near me for a while. I don't game on my phone.

Am I missing something, or is 4S still a good choice?

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If you're gonna use an upgrade might aswell get the 5.

3. AAPLinc, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

The 4S was my first iPhone, So I'm not getting the 5. But I can honestly tell you that the 4S is far quicker than the 4. I did a side by side comparison with my 4S and my friends 4 and it's a lot smoother, snappier and more responsive. That and it has Siri, an amazing camera upgrade and will run iOS6 a lot better.

In my opinion if you don't think you'll need a bigger screen, then get the 4S. The 5 is definitely faster than the 4S obviously, but
    My 4S is fast as hell so I'm not complaining.

Like the person above me said, it might also be better to get the newest iPhone and spend the extra 100$ if you're doing 2 yr contract.

4. jacg thread starter macrumors 6502a

jacg

I would be paying a lot more, not to mention new cases, cables, adapters, etc. I just don't think I've ever wished I had <insert unique feature of iPhone 5> but I would like to make use of Siri and all the iOS 6 features.

5. jmargolis macrumors member

I think that's reason enough to upgrade to 4S. Plus you also get the improved antennae and faster processor (both are improved even further in i5, but i4 to i4S was noticeable on both counts, especially if you had antennae problems with your i4). However, 4S only comes in 16GB now.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, I'm thinking the same thing.

8mp camera with fancy lens system.
    Single core CortexA8 -> dual core CortexA9 is huge, multithreading alone adds significant response to OS/apps in general.
    Still same adapters as iPad, ipod and all over house, work, friends places etc.
    Diversity cell antenna, for i proved reception.
    For me on ATT, the 4G (nonLTE) bump still doubles bandwidth from 3-5mbps to 5-10mbps.

Same form factor that I like in my hand. This may be the last nice, good sized smallish premium smartphone.

99 for 2yr renewal, can get 250-300 for iPhone4 Im sure. Come out with money in pocket.

7. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

To me if I'm going to upgrade I want the newest tech. It will also have much higher resale value. Which you have to keep in mind. In 2 more years with a 4s the value will drop just like a 3GS is now. If you want to keep upgrading with little to no out of pocket I'd get a 5.

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Save your upgrade and get a used 4S?
    You must know someone else who's getting a 5.

9. VDubb macrumors 6502

The iPhone 5 comes with the adapter to use the old 30-pin cable, so you don't necessary have to get new cables and adapters. If you're currently using an AT&T iPhone 4, then you'll have to get a new case on the iPhone 4S due to the slightly different layout of the volume keys.

I don't believe the 4S would be worth the upgrade. Eventually, you'll have to move to the new cable system unless you plan on never going beyond the 4S, so that's just a poor excuse to justify avoiding the iPhone 5, IMO. If you want to save some money, hold off a bit until someone has a deal with the iPhone 5 a few months from now (Walmart has some random deals) or hold off until the 5S release and get the iPhone 5 for $100.

- VDubb

10. aneftp macrumors 601

Agree. Prices dropping fast. This is best time to pick up a used mint 4s for $275-400.

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

No it doesn't.
    That was an online typo and Apple has already stated that they won't be honoring it.

12. VDubb macrumors 6502

That's a disappointment, but the rest still stands.

- VDubb