iPhone 4S deleted photos when registering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BODYBUILDERPAUL, Jan 9, 2012.

1. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I'm new here and I have a real problem. My friend bought an iPhone4s on Friday. A crowd of us went on holiday that day and we've taken 650 photos on it! He's just connected it to his HP laptop for the first time and registered it, pressed the YES button and of course it's erased everything on it! Is there anyway that he can get the photos back. He unfortunately hasn't registered for iCloud!

Thank you guys!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Did your friend select "Set up iPhone as New"?

Without a Back-up and Photo Stream Off, then I'm afraid he's SOL.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

He's SOL if he didn't set it up on the computer first

4. BODYBUILDERPAUL thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes unfortunately that is what he's done!

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm curious, what if you have photos on the 4S prior to registering, is it best to email those photos first, before synching to iTunes for the first time? Or is there an option upon sync to backup photos before restoring as new? I'm in the same situation and haven't yet sync my 4S to iTunes. Thanks.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'd email the photos

7. wharzhee macrumors 6502

that would be crazy with hundreds of photos.

----------

does your iphone become like a harddisk drive(when u connect your iphone to your computer via the cables) with the camera folder available for u (to transfer from the iphone only)?
    if so, u can copy them to your hard drive.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You should be able to treat it like any other digital camera. Plug in with USB and open 'Image Capture' on the Mac, or look in 'My Computer' on Windows.

I believe you can import the photos and then go back to iTunes to set up the phone and wipe it.

9. SurferMan macrumors 65816

This, there are even threads on here where Mac owners don't even know about Image Capture for the iPhone, I used it for all pics/videos since iTunes is useless for that and emailing is a pain in the ass. Just open Image Capture up, transfer, and your done.

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Will try this. Was just afraid the same may happen as did with OP. I have a MBA by the way.

So once I open this app, and have the 4S sync, will it auto transfer all photos? Or can I manually select certain ones?

11. SurferMan macrumors 65816

When your phone is connected and you open image capture, it will choose where to place the photos (I just made a sep folder for them) and then always give you the option of downloading all, or some... I always download all. That's it, and it will put all photo's/vids in a folder.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's basically just like opening a folder. Grab what you want, ignore what you don't.

Eventually you may want to move up to iPhoto. Or, heck, if you already use iPhoto skip Image Capture and just use that. You can import directly to iPhoto. But Image Capture is the easiest and fastest way if that's what you're after.