iPhone 4s drains 26% battery overnight?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KSaebin, Feb 22, 2012.

1. KSaebin macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've kept running applications to a minimum and disabled Siri. I took note of how much battery was left when I turned it and how much it was when I woke up. It was probably 9 hours in between.

Is this normal? 26% is quite drastic!

2. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

How is your signal? if your iphone is constantly searching for a signal that could drain your battery. do you have wifi or any unnecessary location services on? those could drain your battery as well.

3. KSaebin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes my wifi is constantly on.

Does this mean the location services still run and use up the battery even if there's currently no running app that requires location services? :eek:

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

No, it should not use location services when your phone is in sleep mode. Most apps, when being close, don't usually run in the background, but goes into a suspended state, therefore nothing is running in the background. The only time when the app would be running in the background is when you are actually using the GPS to navigate where you are going. Also check if you are using pandora or iheartradio as those can run in the background.

I use Waze as my navigation app (free) even if you close the app, the location service symbol still shows in the background, however, Waze has a button within the app that you can close and it will close the app including the location service.

5. davidra macrumors 6502

Your wifi is on, but is it connected? If not, and you are in a low signal area, your phone will continue to search for a connection. If you are bouncing back and forth between roaming and your regular service, that will kill it quickly as well. If your phone ran down that much while connected to wifi there is something dramatically wrong.

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

wow and I got annoyed when i sometimes lose around 7-9% overnight...it's weird i lose that amount sometimes and last night i only lost 3% but saying that i get ESPN sportscenter alerts during the night from the NBA...

I always leave wifi on as didn't think it mattered that being on or not.

7. Zxxv Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

According to apples test report on their site wifi on shouldn't matter. They tested and got 200hrs standby

8. KSaebin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the wifi is constantly connected and the signal is quite strong.
    @The Game 161, Zxxv: exactly! I didn't think leaving the wifi on would use up much power, weird..

I'm turning off Location Services for the night and leaving it for another ~10 hours to check tomorrow if the power still drains out as much as 26%!

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Do you get notifications through the night? Where do you leave your phone at night? Table? Floor? I always seem to lose less if I have it in a certain position on the floor guessing maybe to do with signal

10. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes the iphone is known to have a terrible battery life, just get an android phone and be done with it, better battery, better screen, better connectivity, better device over all.

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

yeah... I'd like to see ONE person in real life that has gotten 200 hours of standby :rolleyes:

12. cotak macrumors regular

Check to see if your location service is being used by the system. My "set time zone" would keep location service on pretty much 24/7 and it really hits the battery hard.

13. teepzo macrumors newbie

Troll:mad:

If its so good why are you spending your time here. No apps to play with??

Hey no apps to play with, then sell your phone and buy an iPhone.

But what about my investment in my phone already?

oops same issue OP has .. Guess the advice I give you is as pointless as the one you gave the OP.

14. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Quite a witty retort.

I did sell my 64gig 4S, its screen was way to tiny, and its battery was not that good, no LTE, ........

I may get the next iphone if they make a device that is somewhat competitive with other devices on the market.

my 4S battery wasnt as good as an LTE android phone, I thought we were talking about batteries here?

15. davidra macrumors 6502

That's what makes horse racing...if you like a huge plastic screen and LTE, you get to have it. However, anyone who says that the battery life on an iPhone is worse than any Android phone ever made is hallucinating. I've tried four of them and none come close to my 4s with regard to battery life.

16. Zxxv Suspended

I think it was a typo 20hrs :)

17. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Disagree, have an 4S and i777 GS2, GS2 last about an hour longer on average, we use our phones pretty moderate-heavy throughout the day. Though our 4 (not 4S) still edges out the GS2. Some of the new Androids have excellent life like the new Razor but more to do with the huge capacity of the battery. Don't know what your talking about in terms of plastic screen though, as my phone has a glass screen.

The older Android devices were pretty poor on battery life though, new generation is good though.

Haven't paid much attention to overnight drain on the 4S as it's the gf's phone and it, like our other phones, are plugged in over night. I do know though that our 3GS and 4 took a dive in battery life after updating to iOS5 no matter what settings I adjust or restoring the phones as new, as they both would drain more over night with icloud etc off when not plugged in. People have shown proof that iOS5 itself is drawing more on processes even in standby mode, so wouldn't be surprised to see it drain more on avg vs previous phones and os's.

18. KSaebin thread starter macrumors newbie

I leave it on the table. I just did a test and turned off all Location Services last night, and it still took up 25% overnight. I'm guessing, like you said, it has to do with the notifications because my push notifications are still on throughout. This seems to be the only plausible reason why the power is going off so quickly.

The thing is, though, I probably got only 5-6 push notifications max from Facebook, games etc. That's quite a lot of power consumed for just 6 notifications!

Thanks!

19. cotak macrumors regular

That is very very strange cause on the ipad I leave it for days unused and off the plug and come back with tons of notifications and the battery might have drained the 25% your phone did.

The battery issue is one of the reasons why I decided to leave iOS for my phone. It just wasn't getting fixed. And neither is my imac bluetooth issue. So going to start moving towards multiplatform applications (aperture to lightroom) so I can move when if in the future there's no improvement.

20. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Have you turned off all of the device reporting settings?

21. KSaebin thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, what would those be?

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Lol the iPhone 4S isn't a competitive device to other devices on the market? You're kidding right?

23. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Are you using the charger that came with the phone? This may sound weird but I picked up a 30-pin charger from the dollar store and when using my iPhone after charging it with that cheap cable (costed me $2) the charge would never last. With an hour of usage I'd be down to 50% left. And that's an hour of light usage. I would also lose close to 15% over night. Once I went back to the original Apple charger that I received, my problem was fixed.

24. KSaebin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I do use the charger that came with the phone, but occasionally I use my iPod nano's charger to charge it when I'm on my laptop.

p.s. I actually just ordered a cheap cable off the internet yesterday! :p

25. SurferMan macrumors 65816

try: Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > click don't send