iPhone 4s Ear Piece buzzing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djyxu, Nov 24, 2011.

1. djyxu macrumors newbie

Hi, This may have been talked about in the form before, but does anyone have their headset make a buzzing sound when ever they make a call? This happened on my first iPhone 4s and then I got it replaced. However the second iPhone 4s still has this problem. Apple guy said it was network/antenna, don't know if he is BSing me or not. Does anyone know what is wrong with it and if it can be resolved? Thanks!

2. rsxmachine, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

rsxmachine macrumors 6502

It's an iPhone 4S design flaw. There is something wrong with the 3g chip. I would say all iPhone 4S phones have it but some are way worse than others. test video recording, you will hear it loud and clear if you have one of the worse ones. I am on my 3rd 4S, after fighting with the apple store since its very difficult to reproduce at the store and they obviously lie regarding how much people have complained about this issue. This 3rd replacement isn't too bad at all, ofcourse it buzzes but its very difficult to hear vs my previous two phones.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3393647

3. shootingstar64 macrumors regular

shootingstar64

same here!

i used the Apple In-Ear Headphones with my new (received it 2 days ago) iPhone 4s for the first time today and was experiencing the same issues!

but what i also have found out is the following:

when the phone switches back to 3G all the hisses are gone,...

i am living pretty remotely and almost no 3G reception is available there. i was walking my dogs and received a call while listening to some tunes,.... it was so bad that i had to unplug the headphones and raise it against my ear to talk,... everything was crisp and clear then.

my headphones are completely fine (as i tested them on my iphone 4 after this experience) and later when heading back to my office in town i was able to make a couple of calls with the headphones attached and absolutely no problems occur, also i noticed that the iphone logged into the 3G band of my provider then.

must have something to do with the edge band or antenna i guess.

4. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

This isn't the problem the OP is talking about. You have a different issue.

5. shootingstar64 macrumors regular

shootingstar64

you are right! must have mis-read headset for headphones!

6. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

This problem is finally getting noticed. the iPhone 4S isn't selling well in Korea and it has been stated this is one of the reasons why. There are now 10s of thousands of views about this topic on the apple forums. This is a very significant issue, the thing is for most people they don't notice it because it blends into background noise, and if they are in a quiet area they just don't think about the buzzing and feel its just normal cellular reception.

7. Margot60 macrumors newbie

iPhone 4S buzzes when on call

I bought my 4S when Apple launched them. After maybe 2 months the buzzing started when I was on a call and had the phone to my ear. If I use a Bluetooth, it's not too bad, but if I don't, I have to keep asking the other person to repeat themselves because I can't understand what they're saying. It even buzzes when I'm making a call and it's ringing on the other end.

The first two times I went to the Genius bar, they swapped out the phone. The 3rd time they told me to go to the AT&T store and have them swap out the SIM card. Yesterday was my 4th visit to the Genius bar. They were scratching their heads. They wiped my phone clean and had me go home and set it up as a new phone and then move any apps over and sync. It's still buzzing and I'm so frustrated! I upgraded from the iPhone 3G, so I've been an iPhone user for a long time. Everything else about the phone is fine. I don't know what to do other than keep trying until I get a good phone. Any suggestions?

8. smartbot macrumors member

smartbot

Any update on this? I think my 4s has a similar issue and I was thinking about getting it replaced (but only if they have resolved this issue in the newer phones).