iPhone 4S EDGE Service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amitabhbansal, Nov 28, 2011.

1. amitabhbansal macrumors 6502

friends
    i have purchased iphone 4s in India, i found that there is no 3G on/off button, i am also having iPhone 4, my question is, by a Apple Utility i made a APN setting to my iphone 4 and my EDGE service (GPRS) started working, so can i also make that setting in my iPhone 4s also? if no then its ok, but if yes then how i will switch it on as there is only a button of CELLULAR DATA on/off?
    Thanks

2. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

It will use edge when 3G or any other connection is not available to the internet.

We have come so far with phones today that there is no reason to turn off 3G, no real benefit in it, that's why i guess apple has removed the ability to switch it off.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant turn off 3G on the 4S.
    But if there's no 3G available it will automaticly switch to Edge service.
    You just gotta make sure you have the correct apn settings in.

4. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks friends for the kind help, i will try it

5. petespendthrift macrumors newbie

In first world inner cities this might work, meanwhile in the rest of the world where 3G is often marginal this is a silly omission. I would rather have a continuous and good Edge signal than a weak 3G signal that causes the phone to cycle in and out of reception as it changes between the Edge and 3G - eating battery and causing missed calls whilst its mid signal change.

I'll not be buying one till they get the switch back on.