iPhone 4s excessive heat

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applephanatic, Apr 25, 2012.

1. applephanatic macrumors member

Hey Guys

Sorry if this has been brought up, I did a forum search and couldn't find anything really.

So I have an iPhone 4S and I love it! I have had it since launch day and have had zero problems with it until recently. I have noticed over the past few weeks maybe a month, that at randoms times my iPhone will get extremely hot, to the point where I either have to put it down or my hands begins to sweat profusely and sort of feel like it's being burned. It is running on iOS 5.0.1 and it is jailbroken, however I do not have any tweaks installed other than intelliscreen X and aero (that fancy app switcher). So I assume that the heat issue is not coming from the jailbreak.

I installed a battery app (from cydia, it is called Battery Detective) that gives the diagnostics of the battery and have been following and checking that app every time my phone begins to heat up. Over the last week I have been taking notes about what is running during the time of excessive heat (IMO) from the Phone.

So far the hottest the phone has gotten is 105 degrees (not plugged in). I have also not received any warning about overheating from the phone itself. The battery drain at that point was around 800mA-850Ma and the ram free was around 150MB and the only thing that was running at the time was Facebook, Twitter, Safari and my music application. However the music was not being played and the active app I was using was Safari. During the times of extreme heat as imagined, the battery drained extremely quickly between 4-6% every 10 minutes. The heat also spikes at random times while not being used, for example while sitting in my pocket or on my desk. I don't know if this is important, but during the times of extreme heat, if you listen closely, you can actually hear what I assume is the processor in the phone, it sort of makes a high pitch clicking noise occasionally. I don't know if that is normal or not that is why I mentioned it.

The phone has not been dropped and it has not been in water. It is not in any case and the only thing I have on it is a screen protector (front & back) and a blue bumper.

I don't really have anything enabled. Bluetooth and wifi are turned off, I am in an area where I get great 3G coverage and pretty decent service (for Vermont anyways =) ). Speed Tests have gone as high as 2.5 mbps (which is great for a Verizon). I have pushed set to manually and all the diagnostic tools Apples has implemented are turned off. The phone isn't laggy or anything and when it isn't extremely hot, the battery life is pretty good.

I understand that heat will be generated while the phone is in use, and I would expect these results while playing intensive games, however I really don't play games on my phone (that's what my iPad is for =) ) But I would just like your guys opinion about this. I would of restored along time ago, however the phone being jailbroken sort of makes it difficult to come to grips with the restore. I have also done all the resets, such as network, settings and numerous hard resets.

Hope you guys can help and if you need any additional information I would be more than willing to give it!

Thanks a bunch!

P.S Obviously if worse comes to worse I will restore but I was just wondering if you guys had any other ideas.

2. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I find mine gets hotter than hell when there's a poor signal (most of the time it seems) and the phone tries relentlessly to keep connected. Streaming radio is one culprit and Waze just about burns my phone up. It's get's so hot using Waze, I can barely hold it and you can watch the battery drop right before your eyes.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

When playing high quality 3D games on maximum brightness with the phone plugged in, the temperature skyrockets.

4. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

I don't think anything is wrong. 105ºF is relatively cool as far as electronics temperatures go.

5. applephanatic thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your responses! I understand that temps like that are normal while playing intensive games, however is it normal for basic usage like checking safari and twitter?

6. Blarneystone macrumors member

As a test, you could try turning off location services and 3G. I'd assume it's signal searching as a prior poster said.

7. brijesht macrumors newbie

brijesht

Similar problem but after a drop

Hi guys, a friend of mine had the misfortune of getting the iPhone 4S dropped when a kid was playing with it. Although there was not much physical damage to it, it has started getting extremely hot - so much so that it's impossible to hold it.
    Local repairmen said that it's a 'rare' IC problem which would need to be replaced. The apple store would not touch it as it had been purchased from UAE (We're in India).
    Now I really don't know if a fall could activate/lead to an IC issue. I'm sorry for this, but stating this problem without going to the apple store -- will be going there soon (even if to just get rejected, but apple should accept it, it's world-wide warranty after all, isn't it?) It's an officially unlocked phone - non jail-broken.
    Any suggestions would be helpful