iPhone 4S: factory unlocked vs. AT&T unlocked vs. Verizon unlocked

13ms13

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Tychy, Poland
I have found no satisfying answer to my problem.
I understand a factory unlocked will work on any any American or foreign GSM network.
However, I'm confused when it comes to Verizon/AT&T unlocked iPhones. So far, I have concluded that AT&T unlocked iPhone 4Ss are equivalent to the factory unlocked ones and will work on any American/non-American GSM network. However, Verizon unlocked iPhones will work on foreign GSM networks but they will only work on Verizon (CDMA) in the US.
Is all of that correct? Anything else I should know? Also, is the Verizon unlock permanent?
Thanks in advance. :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Tell u what, if I pay full price for the phone usd$600+ I demand that it works everywhere.

They say new iPhone has both radios CDMA and GSM, but some vendors one radio is disabled. WHAT? What kind of scam is that?

I go overseas and no where else do they LOCK your phone to a carrier. The U.S. cell industry is so in-bed with the $&%@& politicians and we're taking it.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I have found no satisfying answer to my problem.
I understand a factory unlocked will work on any any American or foreign GSM network.
Yes. This is accurate.

However, I'm confused when it comes to Verizon/AT&T unlocked iPhones. So far, I have concluded that AT&T unlocked iPhone 4Ss are equivalent to the factory unlocked ones and will work on any American/non-American GSM network.
That's also accurate.

However, Verizon unlocked iPhones will work on foreign GSM networks but they will only work on Verizon (CDMA) in the US.
This is also correct.

Also, is the Verizon unlock permanent?
Yes.

Thanks in advance. :)
You're welcome! Hope that helped.

----------

Tell u what, if I pay full price for the phone usd$600+ I demand that it works everywhere.

They say new iPhone has both radios CDMA and GSM, but some vendors one radio is disabled. WHAT? What kind of scam is that?

I go overseas and no where else do they LOCK your phone to a carrier. The U.S. cell industry is so in-bed with the $&%@& politicians and we're taking it.
Amen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.