Iphone 4s factory Unlocked?

applemessiah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
I bought a brand new iphone 4s. Guy told me that it could be factory unlocked. im with att so didnt really care for unlock but might travel out of country and was hoping to use with different carrier. Any way to find out if its unlocked. Markings on box? imei? or do i just have to put in an unofficial carrier's sim? any help is appreciated.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
I bought a brand new iphone 4s. Guy told me that it could be factory unlocked. im with att so didnt really care for unlock but might travel out of country and was hoping to use with different carrier. Any way to find out if its unlocked. Markings on box? imei? or do i just have to put in an unofficial carrier's sim? any help is appreciated.
If you paid full price for it (as in $649-$849) from an Apple store, then it is factory unlocked. If not, then it is locked to AT&T.

applemessiah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Mine is 'MD271LL/A'....ATT? It doesnt say whether its 'b, w' or '16, 32, 64 on mine'.

I didnt buy from ATT to answer the first question.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Mine is 'MD271LL/A'....ATT? It doesnt say whether its 'b, w' or '16, 32, 64 on mine'.

I didnt buy from ATT to answer the first question.
MD271= locked AT&T iPhone 4S. The other numbers indicate country, color and capacity.
If the chart is accurate, you have a white 64GB iPhone 4S locked to AT&T.

You cannot unlock it... or should I say, AT&T will not unlock it for you.