iPhone 4S found to be fastest on AT&T, most reliable on VZW

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MojoDojo, Nov 18, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

VZW isn't much more reliable than AT&T, 2.8% versus 2.1%. Not much at all.

Reliability wise out of 1000 calls it's 28 versus 21. 100 calls it 's 2.8 versus 2.1. It's not like it's significant. What's significant is the data speeds.

2. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Reliability is dependent on where you are using it.

3. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

Im very happy I didnt switch to Verizon. As much issues as i've had with ATT and their bull ****; after seeing the data speeds a month ago, there was no way I was switching to Verizon.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I'm happy with AT&T. I never had any reception issues nor dropped calls in my area since when I first started with Cingular (now AT&T).

5. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Any word on where the tests were taken?

6. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

It's been a war of attrition BUT it's finally turning in favor of AT&T.

What war you ask!? The war of mindshare (aka Sheep, Kool-Aid Drinkers, Fanbois, etc...) that VZW is undisputably the best carrier in terms of coverage.

AT&T has always been a more sensible choice for me.

7. heyloo macrumors 6502

I've been pretty happy with my AT&T experience so far. Verizon does have its perks with respect to reliability but overall, I think AT&T isn't so bad after all. :cool:

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Here's a link to Metrico's site discussing the outline of the report. Presumably the full report is only available to certain organizations and/or at some cost. I'd be curious to see the methodology as well.

However my own experience traveling across the country with both Verizon and AT&T 3G devices has shown the coverage gap between the carriers to be getting smaller and smaller over the past 3-4 years, to the point that I recently gave up my Verizon modem and only use my AT&T iPhone (with tethering). It's so rare to get a poor AT&T signal any more that I couldn't even remotely justify the cost of both.

9. scaredpoet, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I think the big shocker is how badly Sprint did. Slowest data speeds, highest call failure data rate. And prior to this they claimed to be the one with the best data network, and best capable to handle smartphones like this.

Well, okay, it's not really a shocker. I left Sprint in 2006 because data, voice AND customer service were so bad. It's just sad that clearly nothing has changed in 5 years.

And I agree, we need to know where the tests were conducted. Sprint is actually not-so-bad in the Southwestern part of the US, where their network was built out by the former Alamosa PCS. Back in the day, Sprint farmed out most of their non-metro regions to "affiliate" carriers, basically smaller wireless companies that used the Sprint brand, phone models and back-end, but built out the network and staffed the stores in their regions. Some affiliates were better than others, and Alamosa ran their network even better than Sprint ran its own company-owned portions.

All of the affiliates were bought up as part of the Nextel merger, and then it was universally downhill from there.

Lastly: I'm on AT&T now and never happier. I use voice and data simultaneously, and losing that is not worth the "extra" reliability on Verizon.

10. echo2011 macrumors regular

We had AT&T for the 2 year contract plus a few months after that was fulfilled, it wasn't the coverage that prompted us to leave, it was the unpredictable billing...it was never the same and seemed like it was always increasing every month. After switching to Verizon the bills been the same for these past 6 months we've been with them. I like that, I like knowing what my upcoming bills will be.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Evidently, they didn't run their tests in Manhattan. I've had to tether my phone to my Nexus One to get e-mails during the day, the data is so spotty and slow sometimes.

12. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Good info everyone. Thank you. :)