iPhone 4s frequently crashes, and Apple genius is recommending iTunes backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjlee, Aug 12, 2013.

1. sjlee macrumors newbie

We had our iPhone 4s replaced recently, and restored it from our iCloud back-up (we always back up to iCloud).

After a couple of days, we started experiencing frequent crashes, as in the phone becoming unresponsive, the hour glass showing up and getting stuck, and other problems which wouldn't be solved until we did a hard restart. Also, the battery was draining pretty fast.

We then took it to a genius bar, and my wife is told that it is because we had restored the phone from an iCloud back-up??? They said we'd need to start backing up to iTunes now to avoid this problem or the crashes would happen again. Unfortunately I wasn't there, and she didn't get any knowledge base article or anything that would substantiate what they were saying.

So they are recommending we back up to iTunes now to avoid this issue, and that to turn off our phone at least weekly.

Is anyone aware of a similar issue or a related knowledge base article?

Baffled...

2. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Have read before about this some time ago.
    Try setting the phone up as new and don't use a back up. Tedious I know but this sometimes works.
    Good luck :)

3. Dented macrumors 6502a

Carry on using the phone you already did - ie, as an iPhone with a perfect right to use icloud for backups as advertised by Apple.

Forget the "genius" advice to cripple your iphone experience for their convenience.

The next time it crashes, reboot, and go into Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics and Usage -> Diagnostic and Usage Data. You'll probably see lots of app crash logs and low memory errors which is normal, but what you should look for is a "panic.plist" entry. This indicates a *hardware* fault and I've seen this happen on two 4Ss myself.

If you show this to a "genius" they may suggest you do something called a "DFU restore", which is worth a try - google it for details. It solved the problem for me for a few months, but ultimately the crashes came back, and the second time I took that phone into the shop - after explaining that I'd already tried the DFU restore - they replaced the whole phone no questions asked. And that replacement (restored from the same complete backup) was perfect for a year.