iPhone 4s getting clunky

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oracle1729, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

I bought an iPhone 4s at launch. For the past month or so the performance has been very clunky. Sometimes when I press a button to turn it on it will flash on for a fraction of a second and back off. Other times, I might press the home button, nothing happens, so a second later, I perss the other button, and after a few seconds it registers both presses at once and takes a screen cap of the unlock screen.

Safari and other apps crash quite a lot, sometime scrolling in safari is non-responsive.

I leave it charge overnight from around 10pm to 7am, and it's at 100% charge about 3/4th of the time, and the battery doesn't last through the day so I have to have a second charger on my desk at work

I've done a factory restore and reinstall and it didn't help.

Any suggestions what's wrong with it? I haven't taken it to an apple store because none of what I've said can really be demonstrated on demand.

Thanks

2. techguy20 macrumors 6502

If you bring it to an Apple Store and get a nice guy, he may replace it.

If you tried a full OS factory reset, I'm not sure what else there is to try.

3. Hosei macrumors member

iPhone 4S

I had an iPad which did the same thing, or had almost similar behaviors as what you are describing, unfortunately for me when i took mine to the apple store, i had to demonstrate the problems in person in front of the person i was consulting with. I was turned down because i couldn't prove that there was anything wrong with the iPad, i guess it all depends on who you end up with at the Apple store.

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

X2:apple:

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Try to force the issue. Open up a lot of apps, don't reboot the phone for several days, etc. If its happening enough to annoy you, there must be a pattern to it. It's stock, not JB'd right?

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Jailbreak your phone. Use it for about 2-3 weeks, then go back to stock. Your phone won't feel so clunky anymore. And think is coming from a former huge proponent of jailbreaking.

7. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Lol, so true.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I find that when I backup to my Mac it gets rid of all the lagginess that accumulates over usage. I don't know if it's because the logs get cleared or what but mine backs up every night to iCloud and it only speeds back up when I've backed up to my Mac.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If you're doing the same thing to the phone after you restore it (apps / settings), you might be reintroducing the issue. Restore as new and then evaluate the performance. And continue to evaluate after you add each app. Yes, kind of a pain.

As techguy20 already mentioned a Genius appt. is a quick way to verify.

10. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Methinks OP isn't closing anything from the MultiTask bar

11. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Probably not since that's irrelevant.

12. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

How is it irrelevant? Low memory can cause apps to crash and cause the symptoms with lagginess.

Aside from that, a full restore is a good option.

I'm running a VZW IP4 with a Jailbreak, and I only see sluggishness when I have certain JB apps installed....I delete them after I notice it and I run nice and smooth again.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Frightening coming from a developer.

14. Oracle1729 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not jailbroken, though from those comments I'm thinking that's probably a good thing.

I do close apps, probably a couple of times a week; not as often as I should but when it gets really problematic it makes me think to do that, I don't think it helps.

After the restore, I did put everything back on it. I suppose I should try restoring it again and just adding a few apps I really need. It's a 16 gig model and barely over half-full, so it's not like I have a ton of stuff on there anyway.

I should also go to the apple store and roll the dice on getting a new one. Apple's been pretty good in my experience; probably the main reason I don't usually complain about the apple tax.

15. DroidRules macrumors 65816

You obviously don't know what to do with your jailbroken device if you slowed it down. I have tons of JB apps and my 4s is just as fast as it was before jailbreak.

16. GRMCKR macrumors newbie

Hold the top button down and the home button until the phone turns off and keep holding them down until apple appears back on the screen and then you can let off the buttons, that will fix the problem. :D

17. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

It doesn't cause lagginess. It may cause apps to crash....but developers should code it in such a way that when it is signaled it is about to be kicked...it does whatever it needs to in order to close gracefully.

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Lol! I jailbroke wrong, right? Get real.

Coming from a username DroidRules, you wouldn't be able to identify shoddy phone performance if it bit you in the ass.

19. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

jailbreak

I have found the latest jailbreak for the iPhone 4s and the apps I use to be very reliable. Previously I did have issues with jailbreaks, like the springboard crashing or feeling slow but I would say my iPhone 4s with lots of tweaks runs great. I haven't ran winterboard on the iPhone 4s, I think it may have caused a lot of the issues.

20. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

There's your problem. Restore again and set up as new. Don't even touch your old local or iCloud backups. Resync and redor everything one at a time.

21. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

That may not be THE problem, but I can concur that setting your iPhone up as new (Restore as New option) often solves general wonkiness issues. Since you've got the 16g model, doesn't sound like it would take all that long to do either. Just put the apps back on you want, maybe even one at a time until you can determine if any one specific app is the culprit.

For example, the Google Voice app for me causes my Safari screens with forms to no longer function. If I turn off Google Voice (totally unloading it from memory), Safari forms work fine again. Turn it on again and things slow to a crawl, it won't take input, etc. Who knows if that's just me or if a system wide thing but the net result is I turn off Google Voice when not in use to keep this from happening.

22. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I guess you can't read either...... I said nothing about jailbreaking the phone wrong, I said you don't know what to do with a jailbroken device. www.hoookedonphonics.com .... It worked for me.

As far as the silly insult r/t my user name.... really? That's the best you could do?

OP as many have said, restore and set up as a new device and see if that helps.