iPhone 4S going to USA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reclusive46, Dec 18, 2011.

1. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Hi
    I'm going to the US in Feb next year and I want to be able to use my iPhone 4S there. Its unlocked. I noticed H2O wireless and I can get a sim off ebay (Micro sim) but would this work with an iPhone?

Does this seem like the best option?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Im 90% sure H20 wireless work with iPhones. I too have been doing some research for the same thing and found them to be the best for $40 you can get unlimited international and national calls/texts which is a great deal.

3. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Yeah. I'm just trying to find out what the data APN settings are and the MMS settings are.

----------

Also does anyone have any experience using H20 on an iPhone 4S?

4. KPOM macrumors G5

The APN settings should work automatically, however, I think some people have said it's difficult to get the MMS settings right since the phone defaults to AT&T's settings, but that might be just on the AT&T phones.

I think you can go to www.unlockit.co.nz to set the APN once you arrive if it doesn't set it automatically.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

H2O wireless roams on ATT's network, so it will work just fine. I am unsure about MMS, but have a friend who uses H2O jsut fine. Will try and find out.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Unclear why you wouldn't use AT&T. How long will you be here?

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

H2O is cheaper, for sure.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also data does not work if you buy an AT&T prepaid SIM for use on the iPhone.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Not true.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/08/10/dear-aunt-tuaw-what-is-this-cheap-iphone-data-plan-you-speak-of/

"Next you'll want to add data. Auntie recommends starting with a $15 100 MB data package. As you'll see, her recommendations change once you get all the kinks worked out, but starting with 100 MB for 30 days at $15 lets you buy in and test the system for under $25. Plus, that leaves you $10 with which you can call Mom and tell her you love her every day, approximately 3 times per day over that 30 day period. If Auntie has her math right. And she usually does.

To add your data package, call the irritating robot at 611 from your iPhone. This is a free call, which is small recompense for having to interact with the unpleasant, robotic beastie. Make sure to turn on the speaker and flip to the number pad. When you're allowed to speak, say "Buy features" and then "Data Packages." Work your way through the robotic menu to select the 100MB plan for $15. The 'bot will helpfully tell you when your data package expires and how it rolls over. That roll over bit is the good part. Take note of that. Also take note of how you check your data balance (Call 611 and say "Check my feature packages")."

10. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

AT&T seems like a big hastle from what I've read and no their blocking iPhone IMEIs

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would say that a) you don't understand the US mobile system b) don't realize that both of my parents work overseas 9 months out of the year and use the above setup while back in the US flawlessly.

13. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Yes

----------

H2O looks a lot cheaper and it seems like AT&T try to make it as hard as possible for foreigners to use their iPhones on their network.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It never works for me.

When my iPhone detects the AT&T SIM it automatically loads the regular AT&T profile which uses the 'phone' APN. The 'phone' APN is for smartphones and smartphones are forbidden on the AT&T PAYG system, so hence data does not work.

That's my experience, so I think it's best for a would-be visitor to the US to have a working service provider, not one that doesn't always work.