iPhone 4S GPS broken

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vodouman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. vodouman macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Odd problem. About a month ago my GPS was reporting that I was about 10 miles from my actual location when I looked in maps or any app that used GPS tracking.

As of a few days ago my GPS reports that I'm a whole 4 and a half hours drive away from where I am. I've tried resetting, reformatting and still have problems.

Is there anything I can do or is it a trip to the genius bar for me?

- Vodouman

2. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Did you restore the phone "as new" or did you restore from a previous backup/sync?

If you did the second, then do it as a new phone and enter your settings manually into the phone to do the necessary to test the GPS for failure once again.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If it's that far off it's not using the GPS receiver.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would reboot, turn off Wifi, and try again. There might be a wireless hotspot in your area that might've been in a different location before but moved. The outdated entry in Apple's location database is probably screwing things up.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Are you in the same location when GPS reports an incorrect location (office, etc.) or is it all the time? Most everything interferes with the GPS signal so the more clear sky the better.

My quick suggestion is to download a free GPS app that gives detailed satellite information to see how many birds your phone is using and which ones.

And yes, a Genius appt. is a good idea. ;)