Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munch2112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Devon, UK
Hi all,

I got my 4S on release day, and only had this problem last 2-3 days.

I live in south Devon in the UK, but my maps and other apps are constantly telling me that I'm in Beijing, Sweden or Brazil!

Anyone else experienced this problem? Or know of a way to fix this?

I've tried all the normal things, reboot, turn GPS on/off, etc.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Same problem here, my iPhone 4S thinks I'm in NYC, even though I'm all the way over in Cali! (USA)

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Mine briefly said I was in Washington DC, rather than the state, but it corrected very fast.

Boboswald

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Same here

I live in Scotland but in the last couple of days I've apparently been to Singapore, China and India. Doesn't matter which App you use (Latitude, Google Maps, Memory Map) so seems to be a GPS issue. Actually, I think it might be an A-GPS issue, as it is fine outside but gets confused inside.

thatdrewguy

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Is your local time current or does it also change? That is if your phone time is set to automatically update does your time display reflect the same time for the incorrect GPS location?

munch2112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Devon, UK
No my time says the correct time no matter where my GPS thinks I am.

Have been out tonight to a party and it works ok off of 3G connection, just seems to be wifi. But using chrome and google maps it all works ok for where my router is and my local place! It's certainly a bit strange!!

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
There is a very large thread going on Apple's community forums about this. Just about everyone says it started happening 2 days ago, and mostly in Europe.

So you're not alone. It's not your phone. According to posters there, Apple is aware and investigating.

thatdrewguy

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
No my time says the correct time no matter where my GPS thinks I am.

ok, reason I asked was I landed in Las Vegas yesterday and after receiving a signal my time was off by a couple of hours. When I looked at the date/time auto setting, the city indicated was Santiago, Chile.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
From the looks of all the complaints it is AGPS. Do you have an offline GPS app? If so, turn off all data and wifi, fire it up and then try using it for navigation. If it works then the issue is definitely AGPS.

munch2112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Devon, UK
There is a very large thread going on Apple's community forums about this. Just about everyone says it started happening 2 days ago, and mostly in Europe.

So you're not alone. It's not your phone. According to posters there, Apple is aware and investigating.

Ahhh excellent! I suppose I should of looked there aswell :)

Thanks for all the help and words.

It seems to be working ok this morning, but the thing that got me last night is that I was sat with my mum(3GS) and dad(4) at theirs last night, and their GPS was working perfect - all on the same wifi - and mine was 1000s of miles away!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I live in Scotland but in the last couple of days I've apparently been to Singapore, China and India. Doesn't matter which App you use (Latitude, Google Maps, Memory Map) so seems to be a GPS issue. Actually, I think it might be an A-GPS issue, as it is fine outside but gets confused inside.
GPS generally doesn't work indoors. It relies in signal from the GPS satellites. It may work indoors if you're near a window or in a part of the structure that doesn't obstruct GPS signal.

When your GPS receiver can't get signal your device relies on other, less accurate, methods of determining your location.

aGPS is GPS and the above applies to aGPS as well. aGPS is not tower triangulation which is a common misconception. aGPS still relies on the GPS satellites. The only difference between aGPS and standalone mode GPS is that aGPS uses assistance data for a faster GPS fix. That's it. A difference in how accurate your location is indoors versus outdoors does not mean that it's a GPS versus aGPS issue. Whatever method your device is falling back on is the problem.

neilsh

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
iPhone 4S GPS playing up

I live in Edinburgh in Scotland but several times in the last few days my iPhone 4S (which I got within the last 6 weeks) has decided that it is in Santiago in Chile. A hard reset fixes the problem for a while although it has happened twice this morning. Annoying to say the least as it also means that the time zone changes with the imagined location. The first time it happened last week meant that my alarm would have been three hours late in going off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.