Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

david1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
I'm new to this forums and I registered not only because this problem is bugging me but also because I follow this forum for quite a long time despite not been registered.

Well, my iPhone 4S has the infamous greyed out Wi-Fi. No, it did not happen after the iOS 7 update. It updated to iOS 7 just fine but out of nothing the Wi-Fi stopped working giving me that greyed out toggle. I'd take it to the store to resold or replace the chip responsible for both Bluetooth/Wi-Fi but when I was watching some videos on Youtube I saw something that let me confused. Most of the people with this problem, don't have Wi-Fi MAC Adress or Bluetooth or sometimes both but, I do have the Wi-Fi MAC Adress along with the Bluetooth one. I can turn on Bluetooth on just fine but Wi-fi not. Whta's the issue then? Is it software? Or hardware? Please help me, I'd like to get this thing fixed :(
Thanks for eventual replies :)

david1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
99% of the time its a hardware issue.
Either the wifi chip is bad or the wifi antenna came off loose from the chip.
That's quite ridiculous. How on earth can be a hardware problem if the same chip controlls Bluetooth and Bluetooth is working and even how would it be a problem of the chip came out from the board I guess it wouldn't detect the MAC Adress ...
Anyway I tried to heat it up for like 2 minutes and when I restarted the WiFi was back to work. Lasting quite a few hours now.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's quite ridiculous. How on earth can be a hardware problem if the same chip controlls Bluetooth and Bluetooth is working and even how would it be a problem of the chip came out from the board I guess it wouldn't detect the MAC Adress ...
Anyway I tried to heat it up for like 2 minutes and when I restarted the WiFi was back to work. Lasting quite a few hours now.

Its not ridiculous, its hardware and electronics.
Something you clearly dont seem to understand how they operate. Its not software related. If it was software then it wouldn't start working after you heat it up of whatever you did to the board.
Good luck with it.

david1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Its not ridiculous, its hardware and electronics.
Something you clearly dont seem to understand how they operate. Its not software related. If it was software then it wouldn't start working after you heat it up of whatever you did to the board.
Good luck with it.

It's software in some cases or hardware in others I think. I just managed to activate another 4S Wi-Fi with a jailbreak tweak so ... Some devices do have hardware issue but mini and my coleague's specially wouldn't start working with a tweak if the problem was the chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.