iPhone 4S Handset only price (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnsimmons24, Sep 13, 2012.

1. johnsimmons24 macrumors newbie

Hi there

I'm completely new here, and I realize everyone else is hyped up for the new iPhone 5, but bear with me! :) I've owned my 3GS for two and a half years now, and I'm in need of an upgrade!

Whilst I'd love to be able to pre-order the iPhone 5 tomorrow, I'm a student, and whilst my heart is shouting at me to buy the iPhone 5, realistically I know that I can't afford it at the moment. But at the same time I really really want to upgrade my phone, the battery life has become pretty unbearable, as has the slower download speeds and random bugs it seems to have collected.

So my question is this. The 4S is currently listed at £449 for the 16GB version on the Apple store, will it get any cheaper? Is it likely that Apple could start selling refurbished 4S'? Or should i drive down to the nearest Apple store and buy it before it sells out?

Thanks loads for any light you guys can shed on this for me :)

P.S. I'm looking at buying the handset only

2. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

spend the extra £79 and get the 16gb iPhone 5! its only the price of 100 ciggettes lol

3. johnsimmons24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, well if I smoked that would be a damn good incentive to give up!! :D I must admit it's very very tempting to do that, I'm torn between waiting to see if the 4S will drop a bit closer to £400, or if I should just bite the bullet and live on a diet of water and bread for a few months! :p

How much did Apple reduce the price of the iPhone 4 when the 4S came out? I'm just trying to figure out if it's realistic thinking that it might go down further, if it is i'll probably go the 4S route, if not then the extra £79 is very tempting.....

4. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I cant imagine apples price will be dropping below that for the 4S. Until the next iphone where the 4S might become 8GB. Your best bet is eBay for a 4S as I imagine a lot will have been put on there to sell.

5. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

6. tann macrumors 68000

Honestly this.

I would say either save up a bit and get the 5, because I think it will be a much nicer experience in general or wait until the next iPhone when the 5 drops in price.

I think the 4S for £450 is a lot of money, especially since the 5 appears to have improved in almost EVERY way.

7. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

8. johnsimmons24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I think I might just do this then :) I was expecting the 4S to be closer to £400 when the iPhone 5 was announced, but there isn't as much of a price difference, and the 5 looks like a big improvement over the 4S... sod it I'll join the masses :p Definitely a valid thing to spend my student loan on :D

Thanks for all the advice people! :) Now i've just got the dilemma of whether to switch the EE for 4G, or wait for other networks to provide it!! xD

9. tann macrumors 68000

haha! Yeah, I was surprised at the 4S price as well. Though it does have 16gbs of memory I was hoping it might stay at the 4's old price (~£420).

Anyway, good luck with your new iPhone :D And maybe wait until EE announce their prices xD

10. johnsimmons24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! :D Yeah, that's the thought that I had, but I guess Apple want to tempt people like me to buy the new phone instead of the old one!

And I think i will wait for EE to announce prices, I was with orange a couple of years back and didn't have too great an experience (I only had signal in one part of the house!) Hopefully that's improved by now though, and hopefully more companies will start rolling out 4G in the UK :)

11. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

If you can't afford the very latest iPhone 5, I think it s crazy to go pay full price for the 4 or 4s in the apple store. Get one is great condition on eBay or amazon. Have a look around, read carefully. You find ones in super condition for 300 or even less now. They will be flooding the market over the next few months.

12. macgrl macrumors 65816

Would apple release a 4s 8gb? Isn't that what they did with the 4 when they released the 4s? - reduced the low model from 16 to 8

13. tann macrumors 68000

This year they have only dropped the price £50 and kept it at 16gb.