iPhone 4s hasn't got any cheaper

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aleh, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Aleh macrumors member

Aleh

Hi everyone, this is my first post.
    I had the urge to point out that this year the price of the iPhone 4s isn't by any means lower than last year.
    The 16gb version was being sold for $99 on contract, and now, a full year later, the 8gb version costs $0 on contract, but since Apple always charges $99 for each storage upgrade, you're basically paying the same phone, one year later, for the same price.
    I find this to be a shocking rip off. Not to mention how still selling 8gb devices makes me really sick. This isn't meant to be a complaint thread, but I wanted to share this with you.

Kind regards.

2. Coronett macrumors newbie

Thanks for pointing it out. I hadn't noticed that hehe. I find 8gb somewhat restricting but not THAT bad. I don't take lots of photos and my music only takes up about a gigabyte or two. 16 GB is the perfect size for me.

3. Aleh thread starter macrumors member

Aleh

It may not be too restricting at first, but time will certainly slow it down because of that. And it's still overpriced for just 8gb at the moment.

The prices of the current iPhone line-up are really messed up imho.

4. colquhounclan macrumors newbie

As of today, Verizon Wireless is offering the 16GB iPhone 4s for $49.99 with 2 year contract. I know 'cause I got it for my wife :)
    I expect other carriers will follow suit until the 16GB version is exhausted.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Didn't even know there was a 8GB 4s, always thought the 16GB was the base model. :eek: Guess Apple has a good batch of unsold 8GB.

As far as price, the 4/s are still selling, none of the secondary markets have drop the price much if any.

Rip off? if nobody buy them I guess they will have to destroy them.

6. colquhounclan macrumors newbie

There WASN'T an 8GB model until the announcement yesterday, and it is only available as of the 20th. It looks like the 16GB version will no longer be manufactured.

7. Aleh thread starter macrumors member

Aleh

There hasn't ever been an 8gb model in fact.
    When it was first introduced in 2011, there was a 16gb model, a 32gb and a 64gb one. Then in 2012 they only kept the 16gb one. And now they're simply trying to trick people to make them think it's actually cheaper than last year, and guess what, it's not.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

iSee.

Shame on them then. By golly my first iPod 10 years ago was 8GB, what can one do with 8GB? Doesn't IOS take like 1.5GB all by itself? Bastards.

9. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Let me get this straight; FREE, ZERO $, is OVERPRICED?

Would you like Apple/carriers to pay customers to use their devices? No one is forcing anyone to take home a 4S for FREE.

It puts an iPhone into someones hand with no initial cost out of pocket...isn't it up to each individual user if 8gb is enough for them?

Again, FREE is too much to pay?

10. 617aircav Suspended

what he is saying is that the 16gb should have been sold for free. you are better of with the 16gb 5c for $100.

11. Aleh thread starter macrumors member

Aleh

First of all, chill out. No one is being aggressive here.
    And second, I was using on-contract prices just to make things easier to understand (of course free things aren't overpriced, even if it should've had 16gb). You still have to pay to get it unlocked. And let's not forget the US aren't everything.

12. mrkramer, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The 16GB is the base, and has been. They are doing the same thing they did with the 3GS and the 4, both of those were 16GB for the base unit when they were the newest phone, once they were replaced Apple introduced a new 8GB model as the cheaper phone.

13. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Is anybody surprised after the 5c? Apple is taking their fans to the cleaners this time around.

14. aztooh macrumors 6502a

For me, neither is a good deal. But for some, 8gb works. Obviously, or they wouldn't 'sell' them.

Has the 16 ever gone to 'free'? I seem to remember the 4 dropping to 8gb when the 5 came out...

If they've let a 16gb model be 'sold' for $0, then yeah, I agree. But there's precedent to dropping old model to 8gb so shouldn't be a surprise.

----------

I'm completely chill, caps are not yelling or being angry...just for emphasis on key words.

As I just mentioned...and I see someone else already mentioned now...there is precedence to Apple dropping the old device to 8gb as their 'free' on contract phone. You should not be surprised by this.

I realize there's a lot of world outside of the US.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

No it hasn't, this is exactly what they do with the old model every year.

16. Aleh thread starter macrumors member

Aleh

Might not be a surprise, but that was back in 2009 (or ever earlier, I'm not sure) when flash storage costed a lot more than it does now... And it just really feels stupid at this point to keep selling an 8gb 4s when:
    For $199, you can get either a 32gb 5c or a 16gb 5s (better internals, lower storage).
    So, at $99, you should theorically get either a 32gb 4s or a 16gb 5c (again, better internals, lower storage).
    But since the next step is $0, they could and should only be selling a 16gb 4s.
    But nope.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Feel free to ignore people like that. Group them with the lemmings who think Apple can do no wrong and everything Apple decides on is the best for you, the country and our solar system.

Also, welcome to the boards.

18. Irishman macrumors 68030

How is this free thing a rip-off compared to the other free thing?

----------

The free thing is overpriced?

19. Aleh thread starter macrumors member

Aleh

Thanks. c:

20. Irishman macrumors 68030

Selling the 16GB 4s for free wouldn't have been anything I'd have been willing to bet on, especially given that, when the 5 came out, the 4 became the free 8GB phone.

Of course, they want to sell the 5C. It's where they make the most money of the new lineup. It basically occupies the space the 5 did, minus the cost of the aluminum chamfering, etc on the case. The 4s and the 5s still have the aluminum case.

----------

How?

21. Aleh thread starter macrumors member

Aleh

Well, actually the 4s is made of two simple glass panels and a stainless steel band, and its manufacturing process isn't even close to the one of the iPhone 5 in terms of costs since it is much more simple to build (no unibody, sapphire lens or all sorts of chamfered edges what so ever).

22. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Actually, I'm not in that boat at all. My history on here easily shows that, sir or ma'am.

The OP is complaining about a product that is being given away (the caveat being signing a contract, but that's with all phones for most people) and with a storage capacity in-line with what Apple has previously done.

It's not a matter of Apple telling consumers what's best for them in this case. Someone may be due for a phone, but doesn't want to spend 200$..or even 100$...but can get a pretty decent device for FREE? That person probably isn't going to be concerned about storage capacity.

Anyway, my issue with the complaint: It's FREE. And at a capacity consistent with what Apple has done previously. It's not a surprise...and is a great deal to a segment of the population.

23. Aleh thread starter macrumors member

Aleh

Ok, for some reason my reply has been deleted. So here it is again:

I hope you'll understand what I mean.

24. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Why would you get that for your wife when you could get the 5C for just $50 more? Show the love man.