iPhone 4S Having Problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ATLCarGuy, Dec 16, 2012.

1. ATLCarGuy macrumors newbie

Just looking for some advice.

My iPhone 4S (which I've had since January 2012) has been been acting strange since it was dropped recently.

I've always had it in a case of some kind, but unfortunately thin TPU doesn't hold up too well against jagged concrete. The screen is cracked down the middle (not shattered) and there are a few very small chips in the center of the glass. The back wasn't damaged, thankfully.

Anyway, now my phone is having issues maintaining a wifi connection, and sending/receiving calls and texts. When connecting to a network, the spinning circle will appear next to the network name for a few minutes before it gives up. I have to constantly turn wifi on and off, as it does work about 50% of the time.

Also, when sending a text message (iMessage or otherwise) the progress bar will stop just millimeters from the end, and a few minutes later, the message won't send.

Calls are another problem. I can make calls, but I hardly ever receive them. People always tell me that they tried calling multiple times before getting through, but when I check recent calls, only the one that got through shows up. If I turn the phone off and back on, I will get multiple alerts about missed calls and unseen texts, some of which are from days before.

What should I do? I have AT&T, and I do have the $10/month warranty and insurance. Will they replace the phone for free, or do I have to pay the deductible?

I've never made an insurance claim with a phone before (I'm usually very careful; it just slipped out of my hand, I guess) so I'm kind of lost on what to do.

Thanks!

2. danielceleste macrumors regular

If you actually purchased the phone in January 2012, you should still be under Apple's warranty, which actually covers "hairline cracks". You could always make an Apple Store appointment to se if they'll cover it.

3. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Set up an appointment with Apple Care as soon as you possibly can -- the last thing you'd want to happen is end up not being covered under your warranty because you were a couple days over the coverage period. January is right around the corner. I've personally never heard of people suffering from wifi or cellular issues due to damage from a dropped phone, but anything's possible.

Talk to the Apple store as soon as you can!