iPhone 4S heats up With light use

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicezain1, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Nicezain1 macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4S is heating up for light use like texting and browsing. It'll heat up in 5 min. The right side of the phone near sim slot heats up. My question is that is it normal? Has it ever happened to anyone? I'm kinda worried about it. It doesn't warm that much to burn my hand. It just heats up that I can feel it. I would have an iPhone 4 and it wouldn't heat up like my 4S. Is it something because it has a dual core processor? I'm not using 3G. I'm just using wifi and use it mostly for texting and browsing. What should I do?
    Thank You

2. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

ask an apple genius at a apple store

3. Nicezain1 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jsf721 macrumors 6502

when this happens to mine ocasionally I hold the lock button and reboot the phone- it fixes the problem.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Same here, if you don't the battery will drain fast too.

I think some process didn't shutdown properly, and rebooting always fixes the issue.

6. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Check your cell signal strength when this is happening. If you're on the borderline of getting reception, your phone may be doing a lot of power-consuming signal searching.

Regards,
    Tom

7. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Nope.

8. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I would say it's normal. You got it right with the processor.

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Not with mine.

Seek assistance from your most local apple genius as already suggested.

10. Nicezain1 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. pblakk macrumors member

Actually my 4s (i'm on Verizon fwiw) does this every time that an iMessage is attempting to be sent in an area with low 3G coverage or low signal in general. What happens is iMessage just sits there trying and trying to send ONE simple text and it just won't go through, but the text only option only kicks in after it's already heated up! So it has some overly long time-out margin where the OS thinks it has JUST enough signal to send the little sucker through... sometimes it will go through, and other times it will not, and later finally makes it through the network as text only, as opposed to 3G data (iMessage). This has happened multiple times in the same exact area where I usually have spotty 3G coverage, although I can still easy make and receive calls.... It happened a couple times sending photos (don't even try it) before I found out what in the heck was going on, and I had no choice but to turn the phone off since it was ridiculously hot at that point.

As far as using data on wifi, it will get a little warm, but only after a fair amount of use, maybe nonstop 15-20 minutes of browsing and lots of page loading here and there. But it won't really warm up streaming youtube... not sure why this is though. Loading lots of webpages in an extended period of time is more work, especially on 3G, as opposed to wifi of course. But 5 minutes only is not normal.. (unless it's a signal issue as stated above) I've had to be on my phone browsing around for much longer than that to notice any decent buildup of heat/warmth near the charging connector.

Have you tried closing all apps and then rebooting?

----------

Agreed! see my post below.....

12. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I just tested this on my iPhone 4s on AT&T with 5 bars (with case off) and it does feel a little warmer by the sim on the back side of the phone. I don't know if its just in my head though cuz I was looking for warmth in that area. I never noticed this before but I always have a case on my phone

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My phone gets warm, but not after a mere 5 minutes of texting. I have never felt it get warm from just texting (I send/receive about 3000 texts a month, so not astronomical, but also not nothing). Generally speaking I have to be playing a 3D game to feel any sort of warmth radiating from the phone.

14. Nicezain1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh meaning it happens to you too? I dont have any case thats why i feel it. I thinkci should restore my iPhone and see what happens. Can you tell me after how long it started getting warm ?

15. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

16. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I was actually using it pretty heavily surfing the web at the time. It felt warmer in that area, but not hot.

17. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

The motherboard is on the right of the phone when the screen is facing you. The phone naturally produces heat as energy and electricity pulses through the circuits. It does indeed have more heat output than the iPhone 4 at least in my own personal experience.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's impossible for every single phone that Foxconn builds to function properly.

The massive number produced means that once in a while there's bound to be a defective component. That's why there's a warranty.

I push my phones to the limit, the iPhone 4 & 4S models run cool in all conditions.

Just take yours back to a store, or if that's impractical call Apple & let them take care of it.