iPhone 4S Hissing from AUX input in car

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BadboyHouse, Nov 1, 2011.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

Bit odd this.

When I connect my iPhone 4S to the aux input on my car stereo I get a very annoying hissing sound coming out of th speakers. It only happens when sound is playing - as soon as sound is terminated the hissing stops.

I should add that this only started happening the other day. I got the 4S a couple of weeks ago and it's been absolutely fine up until now.

Ive tried my old iPhones (3G and 3GS) and they don't have the problem.

It happens with the 4S volume is high or low.

Anyone else had this problem?

I'm going to try a different 4S tomorrow.

Bit weird it only just started happening.

2. DIYEpicFail macrumors newbie

What are your EQ settings? have you changed anything recently? The equalizers built in to devices sometimes will cause some hissing when you increase the high frequencies. Especially the one built into your car, stock radios (and most aftermarket ones for that matter) don't normally have very good equalizers built into them.

Hope this helps.

3. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing has been changed all. EQ settings all at default on both the phone and the car stereo.

It's definitely got worse over the last day or so. It was perfectly ok.

I'll know more to tomorrow when I've tried my buddies 4S.

4. noodlelegs macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

You could try a DC filter.

5. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

turn the sound in the car down, and the volume on the iPhone up

6. justinnum1 macrumors member

Happened in the iphone 4 as well...its a known issue...especially if you have a bmw/mini

7. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried a different 4S today - same hissing problem.

My iPhone 4S - hissing
    Buddy's iPhone 4S - hissing

iPod Nano - no hissing
    iPhone 3GS - no hissing
    iPhone 3G - no hissing

Unless there's something up with the aux cable I'm using this would confirm it to be an issue with the design of the 4S.

Damn.

although it's not a *major* problem - its more noticeable when the music is quiet.

if it's a hardware design issue then I guess we're stuck with it.

8. paulro macrumors member

It's definitely an iPhone 4S issue.

I had the hissing with the 4S for the last couple of weeks, and took it back to Apple for a refund. (I was underwhelmed by the phone compared to the iPhone 4 anyway)

I've now bought another iPhone 4, and low and behold, it doesn't hiss.

Previous iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G and the first one didn't hiss either, and I've had the same model of car/stereo on and off since the first iPhone too.

It's probably something to do with the new 4S antenna.

9. chrisu91 macrumors regular

Does this occur only when your phone is plugged in and charging? Or it makes the sound even when not charging?

10. paulro macrumors member

It didn't happen in my BMW/Mini with the iPhone 4.

----------

Hissing occurs when the iPhone 4S is not on charge or on charge. Either.

11. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Get a AUX filter for iPhone/iPod. Radioshack sells that cable for about $24.99. It has a 1/8" jack on one end and a iPod connection on the other with a filter. It works. Happened to someone I know who owns a G37.

12. luten macrumors newbie

This happened to me on my iPhone 4 also, but only when my iPhone was plugged in to my 12 volt power adapter. When it ran on battery, there was no hiss.

13. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Happens when it's just plugged into the aux.

What's most strange is that it was ok. It's got worse over the last few days.

Tried my friends 4S and his was exactly the same.

14. ericwplante macrumors newbie

Been noticing the same thing

I've noticed the hissing only after the volume is past 75%but it goes away when I turn the volume (of the 4s) up to full. I'd set a volume limit, so it never went away because it was always about 80%. What I've found works is removing the volume limit and cranking the volume of the phone all the way up. I don't love this solution, but it gets rid of the hiss.

15. BMWNEW macrumors member

iPhone 4 with BMW E90 (3 series) with standard stereo + Belkin cable = AWFUL HISSING
    Same iPhone 4 with BMW E70 (X5) with Logic 7 stereo + Hama (cheap cable) = GREAT SOUND, NO HISSING

WTF?!

16. mcdeeee macrumors newbie

Same issue here for me. I have a Grom brand adapter that hooks up to my Prius and the Iphone 4 had no feed back. My 4S is horrible!!! The static is almost overpowering the music...
    Oh well.

17. rollingstart Guest

Another Mini owner, same issue. Although I found that swapping audio cables helps a lot. Monster cables, of course, did not alleviate the noise, but using the headphone cord from a pair of HD485s did. YMMV

18. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

Same issue

I have the same problem too. Started exactly when I got the 4S last week. I use a monster cassette adaptor in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Plugged in my old iPhone 4 and the hissing goes away. Doesn't happen with any other earphones or speakers.

I don't drive much but its an annoying problem, especially if you listen to a lot of podcasts. I just upgraded to the 5.0.1 Beta 2 but won't be back in my car for another few days. (city living) I'll let you know if this fixes the issue. Hopefully its a problem they can fix with firmware/software. Otherwise I will need to get this phone replaced.

Anybody have any luck with a replacement?

19. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

20. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

My results

Just a follow up on my previous post. As most know by know software does not fix this problem.

Instead I purchased a new cassette adaptor. I purchased the newest monster adaptor. It fixed the hissing problem for me which is great, but it has other issues with volume levels etc that are due to the tape and how it works within my car.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW683LL/A
    You can get this cheaper at a lot of different retailers including amazon.

Any suggestions with good tape adaptors that work sans hissing with the iPhone 4S?

Hope this info helps anyone who comes across it.

21. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I just feel that i need to get this info out there.

Usually when you have a hissing sound, the problems is usually within the car stuff not the audio device itself even though you get no problems with another device, it's all about the sensitivity, some devices are more sensitive than others, usually when you get any kind of hissing noise the ground from either the aux adapter or the head unit is not 100% grounding, therefor the ground is trying to go the shortest way around (via the phone) and in most cases creates a hissing noise. That's what i've been told and in my experience, that is also what has been the problem in all the cases.

If you have the speakers powered by an external amplifier, check the ground for that. If you don't have good enough ground to it, you might burn the signal ground on the head unit which will make annoying noise when silent or low volume..

22. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I have terrible hissing using my 4s with my BMW aux input

The solution was to use one of these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128453&pf_rd_i=468294

I charge plugging the USB into the armrest socket using one of these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHARGER-ADA...F2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1322481334&sr=8-12

On the micro USB charger - make sure you check the mA rating of which ever you buy. Some can be 500mA which is slow. The AC is rated at 1mA and so are some of the USB chargers for the car.