iPhone 4S hissing/high pitched sound using aux cable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by erasr, Oct 19, 2011.

1. erasr macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Has anyone heard about the problem with hissing/high pitch sound when you plug the iPhone 4S into an aux cable in a car?

I have this issue. It seems widespread. Only happens when I'm listening to music in the car.

Has anyone encountered this?

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

You connecting it via the headphone jack or line-out via the dock connector? I'm getting a high-pitched whine when it's connected via the dock connector to my car's iPod kit. I didn't get this with the iPhone 4 or any previous iPhone models so something changed with the iPhone 4S...

3. skaguyy macrumors newbie

I get the 'alternator whine' or so im told everytime i try to charge the iphone and play it through the stereo through aux at the same time.

4. 7even macrumors 6502a

I had that on my 4th gen iPod Touch. Swapping it seemed to do the trick :p

(But for me it happened only with music going through the dock connector. Music through headphones / the headphone jack was fine.)

5. ocrts macrumors newbie

Same here in a Hyundai minivan using a Monster cassette input with my new iPhone 4S. Happens with all audio output through the headphone jack in the car. Doesn't matter if it's charging as well or not. Not a problem when using earbuds. I've never had this issue with the following using EXACTLY the same setup: iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch (4th G), iPod Nano (1st and 3rd G), iPod shuffle (3rd G). This is obviously a iPhone 4S issue.

There is a thread over on the Apple forums here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3397942?start=0&tstart=0

It seems to be a rather widespread problem. Please submit feedback here: http://www.apple.com/feedback so we can expedite a solution from Apple tech.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If it happens only when the phone is plugged into power, you might be getting a "ground loop". You can get a "Ground Loop Isolator" at radio shack or probably Best Buy to take care of that.

If it happens when the iPhone is running on its battery then it is not a ground loop, and the isolator won't help.

7. clarisse49 macrumors newbie

SAME. SO ANNOYING! Help