iPhone 4s image/video size

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elnimo, Oct 13, 2011.

1. elnimo macrumors newbie

I am trying to decide between a 32gb and 64gb 4s. My main concern is that the 8mp camera will result in large image file sizes that will eat up storage space. I have a 32gb 3gs, and have 13gb of free space (I have roughly 1100 pics, a few videos and of course my apps/music). But the camera on the 3gs has a much lower resolution. I use my iPhone as my primary camera and video camera. My question is will the file sizes for pictures or video be so much larger that I will need the 64gb?

Thanks!

2. rkeato1 macrumors regular

I searched and couldn't find an answer, so bump! I'm deciding between a 16 and a 32 and have the same basic Q... 16 on my 3GS hasn't really been an issue, but I'm wondering if the 8 MP camera will create one. Any specs on file sizes?

3. Trouble1 macrumors member

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If it's gonna be used as your main camera I would suggest on getting a 32GB.

5. psonice macrumors 6502a

Photos won't be a huge problem (think they come in at 1-2MB each, so 32gb would hold at at least 10,000 or so, allowing for apps/OS/some other stuff) but video really eats up the space with 1080p. I took a 10 minute video before, it came in at around 2gb, so 32gb would only hold maybe 2 hours.

If you want to save money though, maybe you can keep your content tidied up a bit more? You could archive stuff off to your computer and just keep the content you really need, that might cut it down a bit.

6. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

archiving is good. the issue with that is you can't access the videos on your phone. the best solution for this is DropBox. just create an account and you get 2gb of free space. every time you invite someone and they join you get 250mb more up to 8gb.

i upload all my large videos to drop box and then i can stream them whenever i want. if anyone wants to get 250mb extra right off the bat PM me and i'll send you an invite.

7. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

Yeah video is the main spacekiller. Almost 200mb for just a minute vid.