Iphone 4s in Laos, Thailand and S. Korea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rdw154, Nov 1, 2011.

1. rdw154 macrumors member

I will be traveling to these countries soon and I was wondering if it was possible to bring my 4s (Verizon) and get service?

What is the process (buy a sim cars in these countries) and more importantly cheapest way without getting hammered on data charges?

Thanks

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Laos and Thailand are easier to get a prepaid sim card than s. korea!

3. rdw154 thread starter macrumors member

4. rdw154 thread starter macrumors member

5. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

I have no idea, but maybe this site will help?

Pther than that call Verizon and have them unlock your 4S

6. s4yunkim macrumors regular

Just thought I'd chime in...

I work for a telecom in Korea, and we got in a few iPhone 4Ses... one of them turned out to be a Verizon model (had an MEID listed and everything). I had read that Verizon had to unlock their devices before the GSM side would work... but I tried activating it through out system anyway and lo and behold, it activated. I'm not sure why or how.. maybe it was because it was never activated on Verizon? Either way, seems to be working OK with our system, so I'd say yes, you should be able to get it working with a prepaid SIM.

It's a lot easier to get a prepaid SIM in Korea now, and you can find all the info you need here: http://expatblog.kt.com (Click over on the right side and expand the folder called "Service Guide (English)". :)

7. ra99 macrumors newbie

Having been to Laos and Thailand, I can tell you that on local sims you will manage out there. Depending on how long you are going for I would probably drop the idea of data and get a prepaid sim. Use data in wifi zones. I imagine it would make the process a lot easier if you brought a micro sim cutter.

8. mr3cho macrumors newbie

In Thailand, you can buy a sim card in one of the kiosks at the airport. Otherwise any 7-11 would be most convenient since there is a 7-11 on every block. I believe it is $3(US) for the sim and then you can add credit as you like(again at 7-11). Careful , because data will consume a lot of credit.

Double-check with Verizon to see whether your phone is unlocked or not. If it is not unlocked, it will not work.

9. ckc macrumors regular

In Thailand AIS 1-2call is the best sim to use unless you are going to be travelling along the Burmese borders when DTAC is your best bet.

With an AIS 1-2Call sim available at almost any conveneience store you can add data bundles, an unlimited data bundle for one month is appx 900Baht
    (£18)

As pointed out above you must make sure the phone is unlocked.