iPhone 4S in Scotland

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by old-wiz, Aug 21, 2012.

1. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    Going to be on vacation in Scotland, currently with Verizon, but should be able to get unlock for foreign sim.

Just wondering what would be a good carrier/sim to buy?

And where would be a good spot to buy the sim?
  2. toondw macrumors 6502

Jun 28, 2009
    Northumberland, UK
    What part of Scotland, countryside or city? 3 is the best for unlimited Internet access. Most likely orange/tmobile for signal. But rural areas of scotland is very poor for phone signal full stop! 3G is really only in cities.
  3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Jul 24, 2009
    As above 3 mobile pay as you go £15 a month with unlimited data from day one, 3000 texts and 300 minutes. iMessage is very stable on 3 too

Other networks limit you for the first month
  4. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

Apr 15, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I'd go with giffgaff. It's runs on the O2 network. For £10 a month you get truly unlimited Internet, truly unlimited texts and 250 minutes.

This is by far the best deal out there! It's what I am using :)
  5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Jun 24, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    In my experience of using O2 in Scotland, it is pants. The coverage is terrible. I used 3, which at the time would switch back to Orange if there was no 3G coverage. My parents live just outside Glasgow and I was trying to use my O2 phone all the way up the west coast to Skye and mostly struggled to even get a 2G signal. When I walked the West Highland Way, my 3 phone happily used Orange's 2G network pretty much the whole way until I got to Fort William, where I got a 3G signal back.
  6. old-wiz thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    Thanks for the replies. I will only be in Edinburgh.
    I checked out the 3 website, so will probably go for that.

I suppose I should just get a pay as you go plan? That seems to be the best choice.