iPhone 4S in Scotland

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by old-wiz, Aug 21, 2012.

1. old-wiz macrumors G3

Going to be on vacation in Scotland, currently with Verizon, but should be able to get unlock for foreign sim.

Just wondering what would be a good carrier/sim to buy?

And where would be a good spot to buy the sim?

2. toondw macrumors 6502

What part of Scotland, countryside or city? 3 is the best for unlimited Internet access. Most likely orange/tmobile for signal. But rural areas of scotland is very poor for phone signal full stop! 3G is really only in cities.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As above 3 mobile pay as you go £15 a month with unlimited data from day one, 3000 texts and 300 minutes. iMessage is very stable on 3 too

Other networks limit you for the first month

4. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'd go with giffgaff. It's runs on the O2 network. For £10 a month you get truly unlimited Internet, truly unlimited texts and 250 minutes.

This is by far the best deal out there! It's what I am using :)

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

In my experience of using O2 in Scotland, it is pants. The coverage is terrible. I used 3, which at the time would switch back to Orange if there was no 3G coverage. My parents live just outside Glasgow and I was trying to use my O2 phone all the way up the west coast to Skye and mostly struggled to even get a 2G signal. When I walked the West Highland Way, my 3 phone happily used Orange's 2G network pretty much the whole way until I got to Fort William, where I got a 3G signal back.

6. old-wiz thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks for the replies. I will only be in Edinburgh.
    I checked out the 3 website, so will probably go for that.

I suppose I should just get a pay as you go plan? That seems to be the best choice.