iPhone 4S Internationally

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lehman310, Dec 6, 2011.

1. lehman310 macrumors member

Over the holidays, I am visiting my brother in Dubai. They currently don't sell the iPhone 4S there and for the most part, everything is pre-paid. I was wondering if I could buy any iPhone 4S on ebay (Att, Sprint, Verizon) and have it work in Dubai or if I would have to buy an unlocked one directly through Apple which is much more expensive. Thanks!

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

If you buy a carrier version you will need your carrier to unlock it for you. AT&T doesn't unlock iPhones. If you buy the unlocked version directly from Apple it will work fine but you will only be able to use it on AT&T in the US (and T-Mobile as well if you don't care about not having 3G data connectivity).

3. lehman310 thread starter macrumors member

I currently have had a Sprint iPhone from when it was launched. Would it be able to be used overseas as I have heard that they have been unlocked from the start??

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

You will have to contact Sprint to unlock the GSM part for international roaming purpose.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sprint iPhone 4S from launch day is supposed to be SIM unlocked. See if you can borrow someone's AT&T sim card to test it out.

6. sirlordcomic macrumors newbie

I think the unlocked 4S is hitting Brazil, Saudi, and Phillipiines on Dec. 16...maybe that helps?

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Are you wanting to use it? Or use it with a sim card you buy locally in Dubai and avoid paying Sprint's long distance rates?

8. lehman310 thread starter macrumors member

It would be a primary phone used exclusively in Dubai. My brother lives there so he wants to use the iPhone 4S with a local sim. They sell the iPhone 4 to use on the carriers but since everything is prepaid, the device prices are outrageous.

9. lazybee macrumors member

The same is true anywhere. The price without a plan is going to be high anywhere in the world. Cheapest place to buy would likely be Canada direct from Apple.

10. lazybee macrumors member

Oh. And as for your sprint phone. If you contact sprint they should unlock functionality outside the U.S. Although unless you switch another phone to your current line, you will be hit with termination fees.

11. bflolover macrumors newbie

Sprint changed unlocking policy

I was told during a chat with an International Customer Service Team Representative on Saturday that the policy changed on Friday, December 9, 2011.

The only Sprint customers that will now have their request to have their iPhone 4S's unlocked for use on GSM networks overseas are those that are business customers. Personal customers will NOT have their phones unlocked no matter how long they have been in good standing.

The agent told me this was Apple's policy, not theirs. However, as far as I know, Apple has never meddled in the locking/unlocking policies of other carriers & I don't know why they would care or start now.

12. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Rule #1 Don't believe the Chat Agents, they always seem to be full of disinformation.

Call Sprint, hopefully you get an in-the-know CSR.

13. lehman310 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, one more question. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with using a data only sim such as: This Carrier in The UAE I dont need to make calls (This being on my Sprint 4s which is unlocked), I would simply like to use the data to look up various information while I'm around town. I am wondering if this is possible. And how iMessages would work over data with my American Phone number being listed under the caller ID or if that changes when overseas.