iPhone 4S - Is this battery normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by angelica314, Aug 3, 2013.

1. angelica314 macrumors member

Hi everyone, I just received my iPhone 4s factory unlocked today and activated it on Metro PCS. The phone was used and I want to know if the battery life is normal. I wanted to calibrate the phone so I charged it full and then let it die. Usage time: 6 hrs 40 min
    stand by: 7hr 21 min
    @ 7% battery.

Also, it died at 4% which I found strange, is this normal? Thank you.

2. cynics macrumors G3

Usage is about normal depending on what your doing. Dying at 4% sounds like a battery calibration problem. If you let it die again it will probably be better.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

As stated by cynics, your battery time will depend heavily on what you're actually doing with the phone, cell reception strength, etc. But I think your listed usage times seem pretty decent for a used device.

4. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Looks good to me but do another calibrate on it.

5. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

As you've just got the phone you will no doubt be using it more than normal so expect it to die within the day. Playing games will kill it quicker and also as its used the battery capacity will be less, depending on how well it's been treated you can expect it to be about 80% of its new capacity.

6. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Heavily depends on what the usage time was used for. I find that 3G absolutely murders my battery, while when using WiFi, it easily lasts 50% longer.

7. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Agree on that too. My 5 last shorter if only on 3G as you can't turn this feature off anymore. On wifi it's great :)

8. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

You need to calibrate your battery, just ran into this issue last night myself as my phone turned off at 19%, I plugged it in until the apple logo appeared which took 10 seconds maybe and phone came back on at 19%. Before I plugged it in at 19% when it died it showed the dead battery screen. So I eventually charged it to maybe 50% for the night and when I woke up I started calibrating it. I think I just about fixed the issue though after it turning off on me at 6% after that 19% I am on 1% right now after it dieing on me twice now as I wanted to make damn sure I fixed it.

9. angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everybody! I've been using it rather heavily just to see how the battery would be and it's pretty great. Today I was on 4G most of the day with music and using apps and it was at 20% at around 9pm.

I'll calibrate it again, thank you all for the suggestions.

10. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

If you jailbreak your phone, there's an app called BatteryInfoLite. This app will show you the original design capacity of your battery, and the current max capacity of your battery. Using this, you can find out what percentage of the original battery life your phone still holds.

In the attachment, you can see that the original capacity on my 4S battery is 1430mAh. The current maximum capacity is 1275mAh. This means my battery can currently hold 89.16% of its original charge.

You can also see how many charge cycles your battery has been through. Seeing as how Apple states the iPhone batteries are designed to hold 80% of their charge after 500 charge cycles, I'd say I'm right on target at 269 charge cycles.

I'm surprised at how quickly I went through 269 charge cycles though. This was a replacement 4S I got in September 2012.

Attached Files:

11. angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, sounds great but I'm not planning on jailbreaking my phone any time soon.

The 4S battery seems to be pretty steady and I have no problems with it. My Galaxy S3 had an amazing battery and it hasn't been too difficult to adjust to the iPhone's.