iPhone 4S issue(may be dead)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomasman87, Aug 13, 2013.

1. thomasman87 macrumors member

Hey everyone,

hopefully I can get some help here. Last night my iPhone 4S went off and now it won't turn back on at all. I have tried literally everything. I just became eligible for an upgrade, but I want to wait for the 5S.

There are not a lot of other details I can give, but I can answer specific questions if it can help me fix this issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

What iOS are you running?
    Any liquid exposure?
    If you plug it into a Mac/PC, does iTunes see it?

3. thomasman87 thread starter macrumors member

Latest iOS, no liquid exposure, and no to the itunes :(

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

When you say dead, it will do nothing no matter what you do?

If so, I would at least take it to the Apple store for them to look at.

If you want to wait, you might need to get a cheap flip phone till the 5S.

5. chumps52 macrumors regular

My daughter had exactly the same thing with her iPhone 4. According to her it went off and she had done nothing (eg hadn't dropped it).

I personally didn't believe her and thought she had actually dropped it...

Tried everything, plugging into PC, Mac, and wall plugs, each about 5 times using different cables.
    I also opened it up and disconnected the battery and then repeated this to see if it was a battery issue but it still did not boot.

Eventually I gave up and it had been sitting on my desk for the past 3 weeks. On sunday I decided to give it one last try, and plugged it into my computer and it booted surprisingly.

I still don't know what was wrong with hers, but my guess is that it was water damaged.... That night I ordered a new battery which arrived today (as I write this it is next to me having its first charge) and left it in rice for 24 hours.

It may be worth taking off the back and leaving it in rice in case. I did this as a further precaution after it booted again, but as I say I don't actually know what caused it in the first place.

6. thomasman87 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah this is what I have to do. I am furious right now. I do not understand how this could happen.

7. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Sometimes it's the battery that's been completely run out and basically all you have to do is plug it in and just give it some time.

8. chumps52 macrumors regular

Read my post :p

9. cynics macrumors G4

If its dead you could take it too the apple store and pay for a replacement (150 I believe) so you keep the upgrade. Then when the 5S is released sell it in near mint condition. You should end up doing pretty well in the end.

10. thomasman87 thread starter macrumors member

I like this idea.

----------

I did, had it plugged in all night.

11. chumps52 macrumors regular

I mean it isn't a battery problem as that guy said. To me it sounds like water damage or something. At least for me it was just temporary so I assumed water damage.

12. cynics macrumors G4

Wouldn't hurt to let it sit in some rice at this point.

13. thomasman87 thread starter macrumors member

I can honestly tell you there was no water damage.

14. chumps52 macrumors regular

It's just an idea.... I mean this doesn't happen for no reason :p It may be worth checking the water sensor anyway, but not that just because that may not be activated it doesn't mean water hasn't gone in somehow. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3302

15. thomasman87 thread starter macrumors member

No red. This is frustrating. About to head to the apple store without an appointment. Hopefully this works out.

16. thomasman87 thread starter macrumors member

They confirmed no water damage. Took my phone in the back, and it came out working fine. Apparently they needed to disconnect the battery so it could do a hard reset. That is a huge relief. Thanks for all of your help!