iPhone 4S Launch - Ottawa, Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by jampack, Oct 8, 2011.

1. jampack macrumors newbie

2. rocketkev macrumors member

I'll be lining up for my Iphone 4s. I've been lurking on this site for a while but just recently decided to sign up as I'm 100% on buying an Iphone 4s. It will be my first Iphone :)

You think the Rideau centre will let people line up inside, in the early hours of the morning?

3. jampack thread starter macrumors newbie

It will be my first iPhone as well. I have no idea whether they will allow to wait inside the mall. Guess we have to wait and see.

4. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

i will be joining you guys in line on friday. i plan on getting there at 3 or 4 in the morning. this will be my first iphone too.

i'm new to ottawa (algonquin college) but from what i read on wikipedia, the mall doors are open 24 hours because it is a pedestrian right of way. i'm going to call the store and make sure though.

what carrier are you guys going with? i think i've decided on Koodo, pay a bit more for the phone, but put it on the 'Tab' and i can end up paying like $30 a month.

5. rocketkev macrumors member

@Bryguy , I've alreddy got a pretty good data intensive plan with rogers.
    Now about the Mall, I hope your right. Not 100% sure what the deal is with the Rideau centre. I went to see what happened at last Iphone launch and it seemed that the doors open at 5am. :S I know that they are open to let pedestrians in but I believe they close down for a few hours late at night.

After doing a bit a research from the Iphone 4 launch, seems like the malls closes. "The first person in line secured his spot at 7 p.m. Thursday. When the mall closed, he camped out on the street beside the nearest mall exit."
    http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100730/OTT_iPhone_100730/20100730/?hub=OttawaHome

I was also thinking of showing up around 3-4am since the apple store will be open at 8am. I don't know any of my buddy's that are going to be in line so I thought it would be cool to meetup with you fellow Macrumors members :)

6. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

cool. i just sent an email to the mall requesting more information. i plan on calling the apple store tomorrow too to ask a few questions. i'll let you know if i have any more info.

if you PM me, we can exchange information and possibly meet up at the mall somewhere.

7. rocketkev macrumors member

Okay sounds good. Post any info you get tomorrow.
    I didn't think that we would have to line up so early cuz we didn't get an Iphone 5 but I might be wrong as its the best selling apple product yet.

I'll Pm you my info.

8. jampack thread starter macrumors newbie

bryguy393

I would really appreciate if you could PM me the info as well.

9. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

i'd be glad to, but it won't let me PM either of you...

10. rocketkev macrumors member

You must have a post count of at least 5, as shown in your user profile.
    You must have been a forum member at least one day.
    The recipient must have enabled receipt of Private Messages or email in their User Options. The options are named Enable Private Messaging and Receive Email from Other Members.

*I signed up today
    ** I just got 5 posts now! lol

Tomorrow should be fine. You should be able to PM me or vise versa

11. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

jam pack, you'll have to post 2 more times before i can PM you

12. jampack thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah OK. Guess we have more to go. :)
    Was hoping of more response, considering the lineup I saw on youtube video for iPhone 4 launch.

13. rocketkev macrumors member

We started the ball rolling on this one so I wouldn't be surprised if I saw some more people joining in on the fun :)

I have a bad feeling tho that the line is going to be worse then the Iphone 4 line. Just get ready to line up early.

14. jampack thread starter macrumors newbie

15. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

sorry, i was busy all day long. didn't get the chance to call the apple store. going to do so first thing tomorrow. no reply back from the mall either. will keep you posted.

16. Alibaba.41 macrumors newbie

Iphone4 lost/stolen

Ok,
    Since I'm also new here I will post in a few post so if you guys don't mind to share your info it wouldbe very Mutch appreciated!
    i lost/got stolen my iPhone 4 last week just befor the 4s anouncement I was the second in line at fido shop when it got out last year and now with my recent lost it couldn't be a better timing to upgrade :)

----------

As for Friday my problem is that I live in Gatineau and my wife needs the car to bring the kids to school so I'm left having to take the bus but I live so far down in Gatineau by the time I get to rideau it will be like 6 the hearlyest and then I'm shure it will be to late

----------

My solution insted of taking the first bus Friday I will take the last one thersday then I'l be in line at 12 midnight so I gess I'l be ok

17. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

welcome alibaba.

so guys i just called the store and got the following info:

- they don't know how many phones they'll be getting. ( i figured)
    - he recommended getting in line around 1.
    - apparently the mall is open overnight. and we can apparently wait in line inside. (i was a bit surprised by this, so take it with a grain of salt...)

18. Alibaba.41 macrumors newbie

Thank's hope the line won't be to long then!!!!
    I'm sure there will be more of us..

19. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Wow!

I am not going to be in line. I am in Ottawa area though so I send you guys my wishes for super cool new shineys.

I was wondering though... if you go to the Apple store but don't want an iPhone. Can you just waltz in the doors and buy the iPod you want?

Just curious.

I will, however, perhaps be in line when the iP5 comes out next year!

WW

20. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

NEW INFO!:

I was skeptical about what i heard on the phone this morning, so i took the bus down to rideau centre to ask someone in person. i learned:

- the mall closes between 12:30 and 5:30. everyone has to leave the mall.
    - if you get there before the mall closes at 12:30, the line will apparently be started right outside the apple store. i believe they will then make everyone go outside. he wasn't too sure about how this would work.
    - he said to dress warm if you're staying overnight, cause we will be outside waiting.

I tried to find out a way of getting one without waiting in line by purchasing directly from Koodo, but they said they were only getting 16GB. i want 32GB.

So guys, it looks like it's going to be a bit more unpleasant than i was expecting. I for one will be going to the rideau centre probably around 9pm now, a lot earlier than original planned. Dress warm and bring food and something to do, it's going to be a long night.

21. Alibaba.41 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the good info Bryguy393
    hope there won't be to many like you that gets there as hearly as you do;)
    you stated it was possible to 16's with koodo now would it be unlocked?

22. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

i believe that's what the sales girl said. i'm pretty sure you can get it on the Koodo Tab only if you buy directly from them. and again they said they would only be getting the 16's.

23. jampack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks the info, bryguy393.
    So what is the plan of action now?

24. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

Well i dunno about you guys, but i'm heading over to the mall tomorrow at around 9pm. i'm gonna go to the front of the apple store and see what the deal is. i donno if you guys wanna meet somewhere or what, but that's my plan.

25. Alibaba.41, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

Alibaba.41 macrumors newbie

Who else is will go at 9 I may be considering it!:cool:
    but then again I'd have to call in sick on Friday but on th other hand I gota pay for that baby...
    Will think about it and let you know