iPhone 4S MD234LL not factory unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by littyboy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. littyboy macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I bought a phone 4s off craigslist and I thought I was buying an ATT-locked phone. But it turns out that its suppose to have a different model number if it was locked by ATT. So I looked up the iPhone 4S, which was MD234LL (under general settings about), and found out that it is supposed to be factory unlocked?

I checked if it was, and it wasn't. The one that apple sells factory unlocked seems to carry the same model #. Anyone have insight about this model number?

2. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

My 64GB 4s Is Fac Unlocked and the model # is MD257LL

3. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

If they sold it at the apple store "with a sim"the register at that point will lock it.My iPhone ended up locked this way even though I paid full retail.Though they did fix it for me.In your case call AT&T and see if they'll unlock it be upfront,nice and they may do it.Just don't say 4S if they don't ask.Request the unlock give them the IMEI number and see if it works

4. littyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah ATT submitted a request but apparently it's not in their system. :(

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its probably not locked to them and since its not locked to them they cant request or submit an unlock for it.
    Same way you cant bring an AT&T locked iphone to vodaphone and have them unlock it.
    Sorry to say but you should have tested it out before you paid for it. Never trust everything on CL.

6. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Yup,The man above me knows his stuff,Did you try a T-Mobile sim in it?Maybe its not locked?Cut your sim has a lookup service if it is locked.It will tell you who your locked to and you can see if that cell company will unlock it for you

http://cutyoursim.com/index.php/iphone-network-finder-carrier-detector.html

----------

Also cut your sim can unlock other iPhones just NOT on AT&T

7. littyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I did try a Tmobile sim. Didn't work upon the activation screen.

I just spoke to an Apple rep and he looked up the phone and said it was locked to ATT. Guess I got played by the first ATT rep =/.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, that's a good site to have to look up any iphone if needed.

Im not surprised.
    You gotta get the right rep, not all are the same willing to assist and help you.
    Some will tell you all kinds of bs to get you off the phone.

9. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Call back BE EXTREMELY NICE build a rapport with the rep and ask for unlock from AT&T if they say the same thing then use the cut your sim lookup.You catch more flies with honey then vinegar :D

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Most likely a warranty replacement. When I got my 4S replaced, it was swapped with an MD257LL phone, which is the part number for the factory unlocked 64GB model. However it was still locked to AT&T since Apple transfers the activation details of the old phone to the new one.

I've since successfully gotten it unlocked by AT&T.