Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I have an iPhone 4S on AT&T, and this thing has NEVER switched to the Edge network. Even in areas of poor coverage where it doesn't get a 3G signal, it always sticks to the 3G network. I was just out in an area where it didn't have good coverage - in fact, the phone popped up a message saying "Cannot connect to cellular network" - but for some reason it said "3G" the entire time. It never went to "E". Why is that? My old iPhone 3G on AT&T had no problem switching to E. Now I have the iPhone 4S on AT&T, and I still live and work in the same area, but it never switches to E when it can't get a 3G signal.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Thanks! Maybe it will also fix how my phone sometimes shows 2-3 bars and still can't transfer any data.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
That is weird, I have seen my 4S switch to Edge in areas of low 3G connectivity, but obviously I don't have the toggle switch. (not jailbroken)

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
That is weird, I have seen my 4S switch to Edge in areas of low 3G connectivity, but obviously I don't have the toggle switch. (not jailbroken)

Same here, though it's Sprint's equivalent of the slower network. It did it when I was in the ER for a few hours the other night, since it's in the hospital basement. I had to use their wifi, which wasn't much better. LOL

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
The iPhone will always prefer 3G over 2G but once 5.1 comes out the 3G toggle will be added to the 4S so you can force it.For me itll come in handy since AT&T's 3G in manhattan in UN-USEABLE

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Verizon goes from their barely useable 3G network to their completely useless 2g network all the time with my 4s.

A symbol of someone putting their phone in their pocket is what should be displayed during the switch.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Same here, though it's Sprint's equivalent of the slower network.

that's actually very different from a switch to EDGE, where a totally different radio interface is used. A switch from EVDO from 1x is pretty trivial (and technically still considered "3G").

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I'm on 5.1 now and just had my phone switch to Edge in a concrete parking structure.

Weird then. This morning my phone just can't get a connection for some reason. The SpeedTest app can't do a ping at all. But it still says 4G, and won't switch to Edge.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Weird then. This morning my phone just can't get a connection for some reason. The SpeedTest app can't do a ping at all. But it still says 4G, and won't switch to Edge.

i'd do a hard restart on your phone. Also if you have AT&T you won't have the 3G switch that people were talking about earlier in this thread.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I get edge whenever I want on my 4S via the 3G toggle of SBSettings :D

Exactly. I've had the same issue on other phones. They love 3G. That's one of the reasons I Jailbroke.

I can't believe AT&T is blocking the 3G switch. All phones should have it. Oh well, I do.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I had my 4S jailbroken and I would toggle to EDGE at home in certain areas. I get about 4-5 bars on EDGE anywhere in my house guaranteed. I get "4G" in some areas of my house at 1 bar. :confused:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Depending on where you live, there may no longer be an Edge network to resort to.

The areas in the Dakotas that are 3G-only never had AT&T service until they went directly to 3G after the Alltel divestiture. So, there are no areas that "no longer" have service.

EDIT: And WHY ON EARTH are people upping his post that's clearly wrong?

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
The areas in the Dakotas that are 3G-only never had AT&T service until they went directly to 3G after the Alltel divestiture. So, there are no areas that "no longer" have service.

EDIT: And WHY ON EARTH are people upping his post that's clearly wrong?

I have seen my iPhone 4S go to edge but i have only had this phone since Thursday.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
OK last night at home I finally saw my phone switch to Edge.

But today at my office the 4G network doesn't seem to be working. The SpeedTest.net app doesn't work, plus an app that requires the internet keeps telling me there is no internet connection. I have done a hard reboot and also a soft reboot on the iPhone, and it still can't get an internet connection. But it still won't switch to Edge for some reason. I know they have Edge around my office, because my old iPhone 3G switched to Edge frequently at my office. But this iPhone 4S won't switch to Edge at my office for some reason.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
OK last night at home I finally saw my phone switch to Edge.

But today at my office the 4G network doesn't seem to be working. The SpeedTest.net app doesn't work, plus an app that requires the internet keeps telling me there is no internet connection. I have done a hard reboot and also a soft reboot on the iPhone, and it still can't get an internet connection. But it still won't switch to Edge for some reason. I know they have Edge around my office, because my old iPhone 3G switched to Edge frequently at my office. But this iPhone 4S won't switch to Edge at my office for some reason.

If there's 3G, it's going to stay on it most likely. The only reason it should switch is on the edge of 3G (no pun intended), and that's where the issue is.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings. I don't think people do this enough. Who knows when or where tower upgrades take place... And resetting network settings is safe for jailbroken phones too.

gothamguy

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I also have a 4S on AT&T (in NYC). I have never seen it automatically go to EDGE, even when 3G is so weak that it won't load any data at all. It just keeps trying to get a 3G connection.

Since jailbreaking and using the toggle, when 3G is not able to connect I will manually switch it to EDGE, and there is always a solid signal.

I truly believe that AT&T has something in place to keep the phone from switching in all but the most extreme circumstances because they want to move away from EDGE altogether, and that belief was reinforced by the exclusion of a 3G toggle in 5.1 for AT&T users.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I also have a 4S on AT&T (in NYC). I have never seen it automatically go to EDGE, even when 3G is so weak that it won't load any data at all. It just keeps trying to get a 3G connection.

Since jailbreaking and using the toggle, when 3G is not able to connect I will manually switch it to EDGE, and there is always a solid signal.

I truly believe that AT&T has something in place to keep the phone from switching in all but the most extreme circumstances because they want to move away from EDGE altogether, and that belief was reinforced by the exclusion of a 3G toggle in 5.1 for AT&T users.

They've been like that for years. Most AT&T 3G phones never had the option, even back when they were running god-awful PCS 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.