Iphone 4S no Volume

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Flanker37, May 11, 2013.

1. Flanker37 macrumors newbie

I've been out today in the rain on my Motorbike. My phone was mounted to handlebars with the Biologic waterproof bike mount. I've had headphones in to hear sat nav directions.

However once I got back home & unplugged the headphones, the iPhone still thinks they're connected.

With headset in, I can hear the ringer, if I put it on speaker, I can hear it through that, but there is nothing coming out of the top earpiece with the headset disconnect.

Using the volume controls, the icon on the screen says, headphones.

The phone was bone dry in the biologic mount, so the only thing I can think of is condensation?

anyone got any theories/solutions?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've read where some PowerBooks and MBPs have had this issue. The problem was that the headphone plug was inserted too far (some plugs are longer than others). If the headphones you used aren't standard issue Apple one's you may have pushed the jack in to far.

I've heard of using a tooth pick to trip a switch inside the jack (at the bottom) but have no idea how that works. After hearing about all of this I've been careful to only push my headphones in to the point where the volume switches over. That's as far as you should push them in, even if it leaves some of the plug visible outside of the jack.

In any case, you might try putting the jack back in and then pulling it out again to see if it switches back. If you manage to get it to switch back I would caution from then on to only insert the plug as far as you need to get it to switch over.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

a similar thing happened to me on my first gen iphone. i don't know if it'll work for you, but the solution was to plug and unplug the headphones.